Is a MSDN or TechNet or ??? subscription required?

Question

• I've been developing apps for Windows Phone 7 and Windows 8 developer preview/release preview. Using the free Visual Studio express tools, it seemed like I was spending mostly my time and not too many dollars. Using a  relatively inexpensive phone and second-hand //Build tablet hardware, I'm nearly finished with a Win 8 app. But, today, Visual Studio 2012 RC installed an update for Bing Maps SDK that inexplicably requires Win 8 RTM.

Yes, I have a "paid" app in the WP7 marketplace, but, it probably never will cover the out-of-pocket costs -- even with "free" labor.

So, I'm not sure what to do and hoping someone on this forum might suggest what the best alternative may be for trying to keep up with the development tools and OS updates. Wait for the $39 Win8 upgrade from Release Preview? When will that be? October? Stop development until then?

Being a one-man, independent developer, $1,000+ for a MSDN subscription seems rather, I don't know, a hindrance, a hurdle, hard to justify. Is a TechNet subscription adequate? Is there another choice for a single developer?

Thanks,

Rick

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:16 PM

Answers