none
T4 and Text Transform features in Visual Studio 2017

Question

• I have been using t4 for years with prior versions of Visual Studio i.e. 2015

I have noticed that there seems little support for t4 in vs.net 2017.  I believe it is still available however I do not see any extensions (and Tangible seems to have dropped off support).  Is there any documentation on t4(text transform) with vs.net 2017?

(coloring, syntax highlighting, debugging etc.)

thx-dave

dave

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:50 PM

All replies

• Hi dave,

You could refer to following link about VS2017 document about T4. You could refer to it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/modeling/code-generation-and-t4-text-templates

>>and Tangible seems to have dropped off support

I have not found any information from Microsoft that T4 will be dropped off. So I think you could use it safely.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 6:29 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  Yes I agree, Microsoft has built quite a bit on t4 so i am not in fear of it dropping off, however the lack of color highlighting, syntax checking and the lack of vendors with 2017 extensions for t4 authoring is kind of odd.  t4 is awesome, just not sure why there has been lack of these types of tools on 2017.

Thanks for the link, but still pretty shallow in terms of content etc.

dave

Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:37 PM
  • Hi dave,

Document update will be a delay, and I help you submitted a UserVoice to vs contact with the following link, I think engineers from Microsoft will evaluate this issue seriously.

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/18644269-t4-and-text-transform-features-in-visual-studio-20

And you could mark this reply, that will help others who have the same issue to vote and comment it. Thank you very much. :)

Best Regards,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 17, 2017 9:07 AM
  • @daveNETGuy,

Other community members also add the comment here:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=OlegVSych.T4ToolboxforVisualStudio2015

We also could pay more attentions to this extension tool downloaded site for VS2015 version.

Of course, I also vote the feature request submitted by Oscar.

Thanks,

Jack

MSDN Community Support

Monday, March 20, 2017 10:31 AM
  • I use Tangible and I use T4Toolbox with Studio since 2010.

I have to say that the both tool already didn't satisfied me.

I want a tool not only with coloring/debugging but with full IntelliSense support as in any other editor in Studio.

More, I need an option for multithreading transformation and recursive template call.

I new that this look strange, but I already reach a limit of single tread transformation and related none-recursive session.

But I also new that this will be to difficult for mr. Bill Gates... :)

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 2:43 PM