none
Data Sync performance issue in management portal RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I would like to start by assuring you that I really appreciate the Azure Sync Service and the way it fulfils my business needs.

I have noted that the "Data Sync" pane in the management portal has taken longer and longer time to open the more sync groups I create. Right now I have 9 sync groups in 4 different subscriptions.

The first time I noticed the problem was when I tried connecting on a 3G-connection, but I didn't post it as an issue since I could live with that. Now I have the same issue on a good (>10Mbps) Wifi-connection, and the only way I can use the Management Portal is when plugged in via ethernet.

This is what happens:
    When I click the "Data Sync"-pane, the "loading data synchronization options"-window starts showing. After around 10 seconds the subscriptions are shown on the left, but the window remains. After additionally 60 seconds, I get an error message: "An unexpected error occured when executing the operation".
    If I still try to click on any sync group I get an error telling me to restart the application. Restarting IE does not resolve the problem.

What worries me most is that right now "ethernet-loading" takes around 50 seconds, so with 2-3 more sync groups I am afraid I wont be able to use the Data Sync-features at all.
    Monday, March 12, 2012 9:24 AM

Answers

• Hello.

There has been a confusion due to a sync agent with the same name in two different subscription, so it seems that I am now actually able to access all my sync groups!

I have also made some tests with low bandwidth (~2Mbps) and it seems that the timeout has been increased because although it takes almost 3 minutes to load the sync groups, at least I am able to work with sync groups as expected.

So in this thread, there are no open issues for me.

Thanks, 

Joel

• Marked as answer by Joel S Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:20 AM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Joel S,

It is possible to delete and recreate the sync group and try again?

Stephanie Lv

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:20 AM
  • Hi Stephanie.

The problem is not for a particular sync group, but for the entire Data Sync-pane. When I'm on bandwidth lower than 20 MBps, I am not able to touch any of my sync groups.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:25 AM
  • Hi,

I'm taking a note of this and will follow up to see if this is a known issue. 

Thanks

DSSMonitor

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:14 AM
  • Hello, this problem has now come to a point where I am totally unable to manage one of my sync groups, even when i am on a LAN with 100Mbps.

The behavior has changed slightly, now when I click the "data sync"-pane the following happens:

after 8 seconds, the list of subscriptions are loaded on the left-hand side

After 73 seconds, the page stops loading and I am able to click into all sync groups except the one on the subscription that comes last in alphabetical order.

No error message is shown.

If I click on the Sync Server for the troubled sync group it says that the last live time is "N/A", Connection status is "never connected" and version status is "unknown". If I try to click on the log, it is empty. However, this sync groups has been syncing data since February, so there should be lots history in the log.

Right now I have 10 subscriptions and 17 sync groups, and I am worried that if I add additional ones, I will lose access to another sync group.

Since the error is not exactly the same as the first I described, it might be a different issue. Problem still remains though, so a solutions is heavily appreciated.

- Joel

Monday, April 16, 2012 7:34 PM
  • Thanks for reporting this, Joel. Generally how many tables in the created Sync Groups, and how many columns selected for sync?

Oliver Yao - MSFT

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:40 PM
  • Hi, exactly 19 tables in each,  with an average of 20 columns
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Hi Joel, could you use F12 developer tools in IE to capture the network trace when you hit the issue and share the trace with us?

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Hi, sure here is the trace, I'm not sure really what to look for:

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:28 PM
  • Thanks for your help, Joel. From the trace you hit the similar perf issue that we heard from a customer from India. Could we know where your machine is?

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:35 AM
  • Yes, it's in Sweden, Europe. I also have the same issue in Latvia.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:32 AM
  • One more thing. I came up with a workaround to rename the troubled subscription to A_#Oldname to make it appear first in the list.

Problem still remains for the same subscription though, so it seems that the problem is specifically on this subscription.

The subscription is the same one that I have reported another problem, so it might be related.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:39 AM
  • Hi Joel,

If you happen to have a worker role deployed with remote desktop configured, you may try to connect to the worker role and try the portal there to see if there are any differences. (don't get me wrong, I'm not try to oversell a compute instance :))

Thanks.

Liu An - MSFT

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:20 AM
  • Hi, sorry but I don't have any worker roles at the moment.

I have some colleagues that are the MMS in Las Vegas right now. I can try to access their machine and connect to Azure Data Sync mgmt from there, if that is also a meaningful test?

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:45 AM
  • Hello.

There has been a confusion due to a sync agent with the same name in two different subscription, so it seems that I am now actually able to access all my sync groups!

I have also made some tests with low bandwidth (~2Mbps) and it seems that the timeout has been increased because although it takes almost 3 minutes to load the sync groups, at least I am able to work with sync groups as expected.

So in this thread, there are no open issues for me.

Thanks, 

Joel

• Marked as answer by Joel S Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:20 AM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:20 AM
  • Hi Joel, we just released DSS SU5 last week which includes some portal performance tuning code. Can you tell us whether you still have similar unexpected errors?

Hope it helps.

Monday, June 11, 2012 11:38 AM