GDI+ Error on Bitmap Save RRS feed

• Question

• User-1170096362 posted

Hi,

I have a helper class that has a method to resize images. It takes the virtual path of an image and resize it to a specified dimension like this.

public void ResizeImageTest(string pathImage, int newDimension)
      {
       string pathImageOnDisk = System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath(pathImage);
       System.IO.FileStream fs = new System.IO.FileStream(pathImageOnDisk, System.IO.FileMode.Open, System.IO.FileAccess.ReadWrite, System.IO.FileShare.ReadWrite);
       Image imageOriginal = Image.FromStream(fs);

using (Bitmap bitmapNewImage = new Bitmap(imageOriginal, newDimension, newDimension))
       {
        bitmapNewImage.Save(pathImageOnDisk, imageOriginal.RawFormat);
       }
      }

When I try to call this method, it will error out in the line of the "bitmapNewImage.Save" with this:

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException: A generic error occurred in GDI+.

However, it works fine if I save to a different file like this:

string pathDummyImageOnDisk = System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath("/images/dummyPic.jpg");
      bitmapNewImage.Save(pathDummyImageOnDisk, imageOriginal.RawFormat);

I have searched the web and found that my solution might be in here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=814675

But I don't really understand the steps, such as how to create a new bitmap "with a pixel format of more than 8 bits-per-pixel (BPP)", how to "use the Graphics.FromImage() method to obtain a Graphics object for the second Bitmap", use "Marshal.Copy function ... to copy the image bits from the first Bitmap to the second Bitmap" etc.

I suppose I could save it as a dummy file, close the original and rename the dummy file back to the original's name, but I'm just thinking this isn't the best solution.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    YWB

Friday, December 16, 2005 2:55 PM

All replies

• User2128074059 posted
    Maybe you, I guess, have no popedom to access that folder.
    Saturday, December 17, 2005 3:21 AM
  • User-1170096362 posted
    I don't think it's a problem with the folder access permission. I can save as a dummy file in that folder.
    Saturday, December 17, 2005 10:34 AM
  • User2128074059 posted

Can you dispose the image object?

Maybe the Bitmap remains locked the object.

Sunday, December 18, 2005 2:49 AM