Create custom property on xaml element with change notifications

Question

• Hi,

I want to create a custom property on TextBlocks throughout my app which I can then use to set the font weight.

I need to support change notifications for the property so I can change the resource in a settings page and then immediately see all TextBlocks with the property affected throughout the app.

I'm planning on simply changing the resource in a SettingsPage as so -

Application.Current.Resources["FontWeight"] = FontWeights.SemiLight

And expect the textblocks to all update their FontWeights

Thanks

Saturday, November 15, 2014 3:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can do this with an Attached Property. Search on that term and you should find docs and examples.

VS has a "propa" snippet that can help.

Saturday, November 15, 2014 6:25 PM
    Owner
  • So far I have come up with the following property, the only part I cannot get to work is how to make the notification trigger when Application.Current.Resources["CustomFontWeight"] is changed

public static readonly DependencyProperty FontWeightProperty = DependencyProperty.RegisterAttached("FontWeight", typeof(string), typeof(MyExtensions), new PropertyMetadata(0, OnFontWeightChanged)); public static string GetFontWeight(DependencyObject obj) { return (string)obj.GetValue(TextProperty); } public static void SetFontWeight(DependencyObject obj, string value) { var textblock = obj as TextBlock; if (textblock == null) { return; } textblock .FontWeight = (FontWeight)Application.Current.Resources["CustomFontWeight"]; } private static void OnFontWeightChanged(DependencyObject d, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e) { var textblock = d as RichTextBlock; if (textblock == null) { return; } textblock .FontWeight = (FontWeight)Application.Current.Resources["CustomFontWeight"]; }

Saturday, November 15, 2014 6:48 PM
  • Hi Brad,

You can't detect the resource change directly. Instead create a property that you can bind to and change the resource only in that property.

--Rob

Friday, November 21, 2014 1:17 AM
    Owner