[MS-RDPEVOR] How to control quality of h.264 stream? RRS feed

• Question

• We are writing our own RDP client for MacOS and now realizing [MS-RDPEGFX], [MS-RDPGFX] and [MS-RDPEVOR] specifications.

We checking scenario when user run fullscreen video on server (we use 1080p "big buck bunny" for testing, client resolution is 1440x900).

When [MS-RDPEVOR] channels is enabled bitstream from server to client is only 1.5MBits/s, but picture quality is poor.

If we disable [MS-RDPEVOR] channels and use only [MS-RDPEGFX] and [MS-RDPGFX] bitstream from server to client is about 16Mbit/s and the picture quality is good.

Question is, how can we control quality of h.264 stream when [MS-RDPEVOR] is used?

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 4:40 PM

Answers

• Hello Dreq--, To answer your main question, there is no external configuration to control the quality of h.264 stream via RDPEVOR. However this is largely influenced by the network characteristics and the requirement to ensure that your implementation makes use of optimum bandwidth possible is to implement "Continuous network characteristics detection". See MS-RDPBCGR sections 1.3.9 and 2.2.14. Also the client MUST indicate support for Multitransport for this to work (MS-RDPBCGR section 2.2.1.3.8). Also it would help to have an idea on the bit-rate and quality in a Windows -Windows scenario in your environment. Please post here or contact me at dochelp AT microsoft dot com, If you have additional questions.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open specifications
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 6:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for this inquiry regarding [MS-RDPEVOR]. One of our engineers will review this and follow-up soon.

Thanks,

Edgar 

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 9:23 PM
  • Hello Dreq--, I will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:27 PM
  • Hello Dreq--, To answer your main question, there is no external configuration to control the quality of h.264 stream via RDPEVOR. However this is largely influenced by the network characteristics and the requirement to ensure that your implementation makes use of optimum bandwidth possible is to implement "Continuous network characteristics detection". See MS-RDPBCGR sections 1.3.9 and 2.2.14. Also the client MUST indicate support for Multitransport for this to work (MS-RDPBCGR section 2.2.1.3.8). Also it would help to have an idea on the bit-rate and quality in a Windows -Windows scenario in your environment. Please post here or contact me at dochelp AT microsoft dot com, If you have additional questions.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 6:53 PM
  • Sreekanth Nadendla, you are absolutely right!
    After multitransport support was enable on client side and server starts "Continuous network characteristics detection", problems with picture quality disappeared.
    Thank you!
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 4:51 PM