none
GIT - update or not?

Question

• 1. I found out that there are a version of GIT newer than in Visual Studio 2015.  Is a new version compatible with Visual studio 2015 Community?

2.  If it is compatible what settings to be selected during installation (there are 3 screens with different options)?

Thank you in advance

• Moved by Sunil Hurkadli Tuesday, August 23, 2016 9:36 AM Not Related to VSTS
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 12:32 AM

Answers

• Hi UriFo,

>>I found out that there are a version of GIT newer than in Visual Studio 2015.  Is a new version compatible with Visual studio 2015 Community?

As far as I know, the GIT newer version, it is compatible with VS2015 Community.

>>If it is compatible what settings to be selected during installation (there are 3 screens with different options)?

If you want to use GIT with Visual Studio only, I suggest you could use the Git from the Windows Command Prompt.

If I misunderstood your issue, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 2:25 AM

All replies

• Hi UriFo,

>>I found out that there are a version of GIT newer than in Visual Studio 2015.  Is a new version compatible with Visual studio 2015 Community?

As far as I know, the GIT newer version, it is compatible with VS2015 Community.

>>If it is compatible what settings to be selected during installation (there are 3 screens with different options)?

If you want to use GIT with Visual Studio only, I suggest you could use the Git from the Windows Command Prompt.

If I misunderstood your issue, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 2:25 AM
  • You absolutely properly understood my questions but you answered only about the second screen

First Screen :
    Select Components:

Unchecked :
    Additional icons
    On the Desktop

Windows Explorer integration
    GIT Bash Here
    GIT GUI Here

Checked:
    Associate .git* configuration files with default text editor
    Associate .sh files to be run with Bash

?  leave it or change anything?

Use a TrueType font in all console windows

Second Sreen:
    -  You answered - thank you

Third Screen:
    Configuring the line ending conversation
    - Selected 1st option (Checkout Windows-style, commit Unix style line ending
    ?  leave it or change anything?

Fourth Screen:
    Configuring the terminal emulator to use with Git Bash
    ?  leave everything checked  ???

You are absolutely right - I will use GIT with Visual studio only

Unfortunately, I do not understand what the purpose of  these settings.   That's why when I run SUMo (Software Updates Monitor) I did not know would I install this update if answer "yes"

Thank you again for your reply

I installed VS 2013 Community & VS 2015 Community.  Would I install x64 or x86?   I checked installer for VS 2013 Community - it is x86.  VS 2015 Community more sophisticated.  There are only one installation package does not matter if you select x64 or x86. 

https://myprodscussu1.app.vssubscriptions.visualstudio.com/Downloads?q=

• Edited by UriFo Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:36 AM
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:26 AM
  • Hi UriFo,

Thanks for your response.

First Screen:

leave it , no need to check other options.

Third Screen:

Selected 1st option, this is the recommended setting on the windows.

Fourth Screen:

Select Use windows default console window

After installation, you could use cmd to perform general git command.

>>I installed VS 2013 Community & VS 2015 Community.  Would I install x64 or x86? 

It depends on your windows system type, if it is the 64-bit operation system, you need to install x64, otherwise, you should install x32.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, August 25, 2016 5:41 AM
  • Thank you
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:13 PM
  • Hi  UriFo,

Can you use Git with visual studio now? If problem solved, please mark the relpy which is helpful. so it would be helpful for other members who get the same issue as yours to research and find the answer directly, and I could close this case.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Saturday, August 27, 2016 7:40 AM