PowerPivot fieldlist is grey (not selectable) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Suddenly the PowerPivot fieldlist is grey and not selectable, only PivotTable. I have some 'Flattend table' in the workbook. How do I get the PP Fieldlist back?

Larra
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:40 AM

Answers

• Laura, I hve been using PPv for months and have experienced the problem you report occasionally. The only way I could get the ribbon button enabled again was to save the file and reopen as you did.  I can't reproduce the problem consistently either.

It appears to me that PPv gets confused at times, especially when I am making a lot of changes.  Another one is when I want to resize a box containing slicers:  Have to click on a pivot table, and then click on the frame around the slicers - otherwise is usually just moves a "copy of the box".

bob mick
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Recent experience seems to indicate that this problem has something to do with "detecting" the need for relationships.  When I get into the situation with no access to the field list, and deselect "Detection" the field list starts appearing at the right times - and switching when I switch sheets, charts ...
    bob mick
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

After open/Close the workbook a couple of times the PowerPivot fieldlist suddenly appaers again!? Clues ...

Larra
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:57 AM
  • Hi Larra,

Only when you click somewhere on Pivottable or Pivotchart, PowerPivot fieldlist can show up, otherwise, PowerPivot fieldlist is gray and it is not selectable.

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, September 23, 2011 9:15 AM
  • Larra,

Were you working on an excel file with old format like 2003? Based on my test, the Powerpivot options are greyed if the default workbook is in Excel 97-2003 format. When you save it as a .xlsx file and re-open it again, you should see the Powerpivot options selectable.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:37 AM
  • Charles Wang,

I was working on Excel 2010 format, this is very annoying when you are developing reports.

Larra
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:09 PM
  • Laura, I hve been using PPv for months and have experienced the problem you report occasionally. The only way I could get the ribbon button enabled again was to save the file and reopen as you did.  I can't reproduce the problem consistently either.

It appears to me that PPv gets confused at times, especially when I am making a lot of changes.  Another one is when I want to resize a box containing slicers:  Have to click on a pivot table, and then click on the frame around the slicers - otherwise is usually just moves a "copy of the box".

bob mick
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Recent experience seems to indicate that this problem has something to do with "detecting" the need for relationships.  When I get into the situation with no access to the field list, and deselect "Detection" the field list starts appearing at the right times - and switching when I switch sheets, charts ...
    bob mick
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:15 PM