upgrade windows 7 to windows 8 develop preview

Question

• I am trying to upgrade my windows 7 to windows 8 develop preview but I can not pass product key. I tried to download iso few times.

Can you please help me?

Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:42 AM

Answers

• Hey Palo68,

When you install Windows Developer Preview on top of Windows 7 you may have the option to keep your accounts, files, and settings, but it isn't a full upgrade installation. Be sure to read the information provided on the page linked below under the "Notes about installing the Windows Developer Preview" to see what installation options are available.
    Windows Developer Preview downloads

Also note that you cannot uninstall Windows Developer Preview. To reinstall your previous operating system you must have restore or installation media.

If you are still having problems getting Windows Developer Preview installed, let us know how you are installing Windows Developer Preview (using DVD burnt with the ISO, using a bootable USB, etc.)

Steven
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 10:35 PM

All replies

• I would advise not to get rid of Windows 7 & replace it with a pre-beta version of windows 8.

If you want to test it? You should install it using the iso file you downloaded via a USB memory stick or DVD.

Windows 8 should not to be used as your main operating system until the final version is released. This is because it could be unstable and you would loose your files if things go wrong!

Microsoft Registered Partner.ID 2251556 Windows 7. One of the better OS!
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:54 PM
  • I understand risks of pre beta and I am good with it.

I understood windows 7 is upradeable to windows 8 so I would like to try. In description I found

"You will only receive the full set of installation options when setup is launched in Windows"

But I can not pass the product key.

Is there any special product key which allows me to go to the next step?or only way how to install W8 is clean install from portable media?

thanks

Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:34 PM
  • I understand risks of pre beta and I am good with it.

I understood windows 7 is upradeable to windows 8 so I would like to try. In description I found

"You will only receive the full set of installation options when setup is launched in Windows"

But I can not pass the product key.

Is there any special product key which allows me to go to the next step?or only way how to install W8 is clean install from portable media?

thanks

I found it very easy to burn a dvd and I installed on a seperate drive to win 7.

This is the easiest way, or use a usb memory stick to install.

Microsoft Registered Partner.ID 2251556 Windows 7. One of the better OS!
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:50 PM
  • Hey Palo68,

When you install Windows Developer Preview on top of Windows 7 you may have the option to keep your accounts, files, and settings, but it isn't a full upgrade installation. Be sure to read the information provided on the page linked below under the "Notes about installing the Windows Developer Preview" to see what installation options are available.
    Windows Developer Preview downloads

Also note that you cannot uninstall Windows Developer Preview. To reinstall your previous operating system you must have restore or installation media.

If you are still having problems getting Windows Developer Preview installed, let us know how you are installing Windows Developer Preview (using DVD burnt with the ISO, using a bootable USB, etc.)

Steven
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 10:35 PM