none
Stale Licence and Proxy-Error

Question

• I have a big problem with my Visual Studio 15 Community Edition. After the end of the 30 Day trial Period, I was told to log in with a Microsoft-Account, which I did.

After enterin my credentials and trying to retrieve the license-update, I should check my network connection and proxy settings, which I did.

Both of them are fine, I ran to my departments IT and everything and everybody assured me, that there is no proxy! After spending some time with Google, StackOverflow and this forum, I found to repair the installation has helped other guys. But not here...

However, when my local Admin starts the program (either by logging in on my machine or by using "run As Admin") it works totally fine. The license it automatically retrieved, I can get a new update and everything (with the same Microsoft-Account and all). But if I restart VS after that with my credentials, there is no chance to get the licencing done.

We also tried to make me Admin for a while, to make the license-Update run on my UserName, but this does also not work, still proxy Error and all.

Do you have any clue, how to get this done? I'm trying this since two weeks now and can not get any work done!

Thursday, January 12, 2017 3:09 PM

All replies

• Hi ProSchurkopf,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, it looks like your account cannot renew the license but the administrator account works fine.

Does your account is a domain account? I found a similar issue and Nicolas thought Visual Studio treating domain accounts and local accounts differently when trying to renew licensing information. If you have a domain and windows 8.1 or later, you can have a try with set the following: (back up the registry table before modification)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\Protect\Providers\df9d8cd0-1501-11d1-8c7a-00c04fc297eb]

"ProtectionPolicy"=dword:00000001

If not, you can try to create a new normal account and login your computer, then check this issue again, it can help us to excludes the possibility of your current account user profile is corrupted.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 13, 2017 8:56 AM
  • Hi ProfSchurkopf,

If you could update the license normally during you log-in your machine as the admin, it would be related to the visit permission.

(1) Just run your VS as the admin, check it again.

(2) Like Sara's suggestion, you'd better compare the domain information using the two different log in permissions in your windows.

(3) Not a solution, just a workaround, maybe you could let the admin add a new user in this windows for you, check it again if your previous one really has the same domain but not work. I mean that maybe your previous user account has certain limitations in this windows.

If you get any latest information, please feel free to share it here, we look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you for your support and co-operation.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 9:00 AM