none
What will happen to WP8.1 apps on July 2017?

Question

• Microsoft announced WP8.1 end of life on July 2017.

I have a WP8.1 RT app on the store and currently users can download it and use it.

My question is what's going to happen with my app after July 2017?

Will it still be available to download?

Will I still be able to publish new versions of my app targeting WP8.1 RT?

I have some users with WP8.1 and they won't be able to upgrade to WP10.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 6:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Gadi,

>My question is what's going to happen with my app after July 2017?

According to the support page, for all the Windows Phone 8.1 devices, the OS will not expect any future or security update after July 2017.

>Will it still be available to download?

Will I still be able to publish new versions of my app targeting WP8.1 RT?

Your app can still be available to download and you can still submit a new version targeting Windows universal 8.1.

However, since MSFT stopped releasing updates one year ago, many Windows phone 8.1 apps and services has been discontinued in the past few months. So you'd better move your apps to the Windows 10 platform so that you will receive more users.

You don't have to delete the old packages. Just upload your UWP version package in your updated submission and then your app will have two packages. For those who upgrade their phone from 8.1 to Windows 10, their app will also automatically upgrade to your UWP version.

For more details, you can refer to Adding packages for Windows 10 to a previously-published apps.

If it's helpful, could you please mark it as answer so that other community can find it more conveniently?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:13 AM