none
Unable to hide shared mailbox from GAL with POSH RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a staff offboarding script and want to convert the mailbox of a user to a shared mailbox so the manager can access it and we can leave the Out-of-Office reply active for a month or so.

Converting the mailbox is no problem, but I can't figure out how to hide the mailadres from the GAL. We have local AD, so for a normal user I would set the msExchHideFromAddressLists to True. I do this before converting the mailbox, but it's still visible. I just checked the mailbox details and noticed that HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled is set to False. But changing it with:

Set-Mailbox -Identity <user> -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $true

results in the following error:

The operation on mailbox "<user>" failed because it's out of the current user's write scope. The action 'Set-Mailbo
    x', 'HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled', can't be performed on the object "<user>" because the object is being synchron
    ized from your on-premises organization. This action should be performed on the object in your on-premises organization
    So how do I hide the shared mailbox from the GAL?

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Friday, April 28, 2017 6:13 PM Move to more appropriate forum
    Monday, March 6, 2017 3:32 PM

All replies

• The error is very exact.  Follow its instructions and you will be OK.

I recommend hiding the mailbox first before changing it's type.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, March 6, 2017 7:10 PM
  • The error is indeed exact and of course I tried it.

I did hide it first, then changed it to shared. But that doesn't seem to work.

Changing it on-premise is only possible, as far as I known, with setting the msExchHideFromAddressLists  to True.  I don't have a local Exchange server anymore, but I do have the Exchange scheme in the AD. We converted from on-premise exchange through a hybrid to the Exchange Online and removed the Exchange server when we are done.

So how to I set this in my on-premise environment?

Monday, March 6, 2017 7:59 PM
  • I would post in the Exchange online forum to get help finding out why your AD is not syncing.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, March 6, 2017 8:08 PM