adding help content causes hlpctntmgr.exe to crash RRS feed

• Question

• whenever I try to install new ccontent, hlpctntmgr.exe crashes, with the following details:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3

Problem Signature 01: hlpctntmgr.exe

Problem Signature 02: 2.0.50727.1

Problem Signature 03: 5011db8f

Problem Signature 04: System.Configuration

Problem Signature 05: 4.0.30319.17929

Problem Signature 06: 4ffa5c5b

Problem Signature 07: 27b

Problem Signature 08: 1c

Problem Signature 09: IOIBMURHYNRXKW0ZXKYRVFN0BOYYUFOW

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

The same set of files installs correctly in VS2010.

Jan

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:33 PM

Answers

• I don't know how the file got in that state in the first place. I will check with the guys that own the feature to see if they have had any reports of that. It may be a bug that only rarely happens, it seems very odd.

Ryan

• Marked as answer by JanBaan Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:08 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:13 AM

All replies

• Attaching a debugger like windbg or using procdump to capture a crash dump would be helpful, there isn't really any useful information in the Watson event log entry.

Ryan

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 6:46 PM
  • Hello Ryan,

thanks for trying to help me. I have created a dmp file, how can I send it?

Regards, Jan

Jan

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 9:43 AM
  • If you mail me at rmolden AT <obvious employer name here> . com I can send you a link for a site to upload it, since they tend to be rather large (a few hundred megs). Just let me know (in the e-mail) what region you are in from the following three (to reduce upload latency)

1:  North/South America

2:  EMEA (Europe/Middle-East/Africa)

3: Asia

Ryan
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 6:35 PM
  • Sorry for the delay, I was out sick yesterday so I just looked at this today.  The exception is complaining that 'Configuration file Microsoft.VisualStudio.Help.dll.config does not have root <configuration> tag'. I don't see that file (the config file) in my local install, but I don't believe I installed local help so perhaps it is only created then. Can you check if that file exists on your system (I suspect it would be under %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Help Viewer\v2.0), if it does is it valid XML or is say the file 0 length?

Ryan

Friday, January 11, 2013 6:08 PM
  • Hello Ryan,

the file exists and contains this:

<appSettings>
      <add key="LogLevelVerbose" value="true" />
    </appSettings>

Regards, Jan

Jan

Sunday, January 13, 2013 10:16 AM
  • Can you open the file in something like notepad and replace the contents with this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <configuration>
      <appSettings>
        <add key="LogLevelVerbose" value="true" />
      </appSettings>
    </configuration>
    Monday, January 14, 2013 3:14 AM
  • Hello Ryan,

unfortunately that makes no difference.

Regards, Jan

Jan

Monday, January 14, 2013 9:39 AM
  • After the crash has it changed the dll.config back to the old version that didn't contain the configuration node? If not can you upload another crash dump to the same location? The old crash dump was complaining that the config file didn't have a configuration root node, that shouldn't be the case if you updated it (unless it is reading a .config from another location). Also, could you use something like Process Monitor to see where it is reading that .dll.config from (to make sure we are updating the right one)?

Ryan

Monday, January 14, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Hello Ryan,

I tried it again and now the installation works! After that, the config file is still correct.

How can I make sure that this works well on any PC (not just my own, where I can modify this file)?

Regards, Jan

Jan

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:49 PM
  • I don't know how the file got in that state in the first place. I will check with the guys that own the feature to see if they have had any reports of that. It may be a bug that only rarely happens, it seems very odd.

Ryan

• Marked as answer by JanBaan Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:08 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:13 AM
  • Hello Ryan,

I tried and instaled VS2012 on another system and could not reproduce the problem there. So maybe it was caused by experiments I did, or it was a leftover from an earlier release of VS2012. I consider this case closed.

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Jan

Jan

Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:09 PM