none
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException (0x80004005): Query is corrupt RRS feed

• Question

• I have been developing a VB.Net application using Visual Studio 2015 that uses an Access 2016 database for storing the program's data. And yesterday when I ran the program I got the "System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException (0x80004005): Query is corrupt error message. My application ran fine the day before. I did some research and it seems that the error is incurred as a result of a Microsoft update to either MS Office or the Windows operating system. The query in my program uses an UPDATE query statement that seems to now be corrupt according to Microsoft. How can I fix this situation? Will Microsoft issue a software fix? Are they aware of the problem? Help!!!

BobV365

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 4:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Is the query in code or done with a TableAdapter and the query is in the designer ?

I have the latest Win 10 updates, same with Office Professional Plus 2016 and no issues.

In regards to Microsoft aware, one way to be sure is to tell them via the feedback button in the top right corner of Visual Studio link to send feedback/issues.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 4:33 PM
  • Hi Karen, thank you for your reply.

To answer your question: The query is in a TableAdapter.

I will use the feedback button in Visual Studio to let Microsoft know of my issue, as you have suggested.

Yesterday, I found online messages by other developers who were also having the same issue, but now I can't remember where it was that I saw their messages. And the messages were recent within a few days of me finding out that I had this issue (November 2019). 

Any other developers notice that their apps that use an Access database have issues running after the user has downloaded and installed a Microsoft update to either Office or Windows?

Regards

BobV365

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 5:28 PM
  • Did you open the query in the designer and it looked okay?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

StackOverFlow

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 5:52 PM
  • Yes, I looked at it and it looks fine.

My program ran fine on all of my desktops and laptops until yesterday when I first encountered the error message on one of my computers. So, I checked my application on all of my computers and found that it failed with the same error message on all of my computers. 

It appears to me that it has something to do with a Microsoft Office or Windows 10 update (just assuming).

I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling my application. That didn't fix the issue. I even went back to one of the earlier versions of my application that worked in the past, and now that gives off the same error message.

BobV365

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 6:40 PM
  • Same problem,

I had to remove the following MS Office updates from each computer that uses ms access

Office 2010: Description of the security update for Office 2010: November 12, 2019 (KB4484127)
    Office 2013: Description of the security update for Office 2013: November 12, 2019 (KB4484119)
    Office 2016: Description of the security update for Office 2016: November 12, 2019 (KB4484113)

I hope it helps

john

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:41 PM
  • Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. It appears that Microsoft issued a security update for Office that screwed some of us developers.

I have Office 365 Build 12130.20390 Click-to-Run and it appears that the KB's can't be removed from this version of Microsoft Office 365. 

I guess my only hope is that Microsoft will issue a fix for the Click-to-Run version of Office 365.

Does anyone know of a way to fix the security issue for Office 365 (Click-to-Run)? Or does anyone know the timing of when an update might be issued by Microsoft to correct the issue? Or, do I need to change my code? (I am not sure what/how to change anything.)

Thanks,

BobV365

BobV365

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:43 PM
  • I have the same issue. Brings a halt to our data processing. this is a regular process for us and I just updated O365 today.

Lee

I was able to remove the update through settings->windows updates, however the office version still reflects the same version number. I was able to re-run my app without the error occurring.

• Edited by Lee Taylor Tuesday, November 19, 2019 10:09 PM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:54 PM
  • Lee,

I am glad that you were able to fix the issue for the time being by uninstalling the Office updates. However, obviously, this is a temporary fix. If Microsoft doesn't issue a fix, the next time they come up with an Office update, you will be back in the same position.

This error must be affecting many developers and the users of their software. What a mess. I hope Microsoft will issue a fix for this soon. 

Anyone know if Microsoft is aware of the problem? And when it will be fixed?

BobV365

BobV365

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 11:45 PM
  • Here is a thought, try creating a temp project with your database and use the following version of the OleDb provider, perhaps this might work.

https://www.nuget.org/packages/System.Data.OleDb/4.7.0-preview3.19551.4

StackOverFlow

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 11:53 PM
  • Hi,

The possible solution:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/access-error-query-is-corrupt-fad205a5-9fd4-49f1-be83-f21636caedec

Someone also encountered this problem, you can check in the follow link and refer to it:

It said that This is a known bug caused by the Office updates released on November 12, 2019. It affects all versions of Access currently supported by Microsoft (from Access 2010 to 365).

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/7e7f24cc-f1f3-43f8-a9a2-45b77812b211/the-cve20191402-updates-kb4484119-etc-break-access-201020132016365-query-is-corrupt?forum=accessdev

Hope it be helpful.

Best Regards,

Julie

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:28 AM
  • Thank you Julie. You nailed it!

I uninstalled Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB4484127) 32-Bit Edition and that resolved the error for me. Apparently, many other developers and users of applications that use the Access database were affected by this so called Security Update. 

I know that this is a temporary fix and supposedly on 11/22/2019 Microsoft will issue an update that fixes this issue - Build 7241.5001. I hope this is true because it really screwed me up, as well as many others.

If you are experiencing this issue - see the links listed in the prior post by Julie for the temporary fix by uninstalling the Security Update that is affecting your computer.

Thanks again Julie.

BobV365

BobV365

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:50 AM
  • Hi,

You are welcome.

Very happy to help you.

Best Regards,

Julie

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:54 AM
  • It is now November 30, 2019 and Microsoft has still not released a fix for the error associated with security update KB4484127. I resumed installing security updates on my computer, thinking that the fix would have been released by now, only to find that they have not issued a security update that fixes the issue. So, I had to uninstall the same security update again. Anyone have an idea if and when Microsoft will issue a fix for the problem they introduced with KB4484127? This delay is frustrating for me and the users of my software.

BobV365

BobV365

Saturday, November 30, 2019 4:50 PM
  • Robert,

25 years ago you could easily rely on the so called Microsoft Access database. It is a file, not a database server. It has the extension MDB. People started using the Office Access database. It had the same name. However, it is not the same product. Things that did go easily in the MDB were 2 years ago not yet implemented in that one for use outside Office. I don't know the current state. 

Why would Microsoft. There focus is shifted when Windows 8 was created. There current focus is Azure https://www.manageengine.com/products/applications_manager/microsoft-azure-sql-monitoring.html?adgroup=%20APM%20-%20Azure%20SQL%20DB%20Monitoring&device=c&network=o&matchtype=e&keyword=azure%20sql%20database&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=APM%20-%20US%20-%20Search%20-%20CoreL1&utm_term=azure%20sql%20database&utm_content=APM%20-%20Azure%20SQL%20DB%20Monitoring

Because something has the same name it is not always the same and therefore don't expect the same.

Visual Studio is for most people freeware and therefore everything Microsoft does is only a gift.  

Success
    Cor

Saturday, November 30, 2019 5:28 PM
  • Microsoft finally pushed out a fix today: Security Update For Microsoft Office 2010 (KB4484193). This fixes the error: Query "query name" is corrupt.

BobV365

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 7:32 PM