side stepping windows store RRS feed

• Question

• I'm designing a employee check in/ order check in center as a metro app for upcoming tablets. I'm going to be putting one of each of the departments (6 tablets in total).

I've been reading alot about how to avoid the widows stores becuase initially I'll be developing this app in house for in house use only. basically the reason why it works on the preview version is because it has side loading enabled. From researching only windows 8 enterprise will have the side loading option. So this means once windows 8 is out i must upgrade from windows 8 preview to windows 8 enterprise. Correct?

Once the program is developed from my desktop tho I want to then install it onto the tablets ( either the dell or lenovo comming out, unsure if RT version or not, but my understanding is a winRT metro app runs the same on both).

Since most of the tablets will prob be WinRT their is no "enable side loading". This is the part i'm confused at. It might be because of the different sources i'm reading have large gap in dates so the idea was planted it. To load my metro app onto a winRT tablet I must have my app certified (same as window store app) and then through group policies I can 'add trusted apps' which then my app would fall under. Correct?

In short. I need Windows 8 Enterprise (windows 8 preview atm) to build my app and test it. and certify it to put it on other devices.

Another question is. do I need a windows server 2012 enterprise addition if i'm doing some database stuff(through webservice) to work properly??

Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:54 PM

Answers

• Hello Kokoroastrum,

It sounds like you have read quite a bit about side loading. Just in case you haven't read this article, I am including it as an explanation of how you can add and remove apps through side loading. I am also including a great blog about Line Of Business apps in an enterprise environment. It refers to ARM devices and how to add and remove apps on them in your company. I hope this helps some, but please post back if you have other questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Jesse

• Marked as answer by kokoroastrum Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:14 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by kokoroastrum Thursday, September 6, 2012 1:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by mark_1h Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:51 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:48 PM

All replies

• Hello Kokoroastrum,

It sounds like you have read quite a bit about side loading. Just in case you haven't read this article, I am including it as an explanation of how you can add and remove apps through side loading. I am also including a great blog about Line Of Business apps in an enterprise environment. It refers to ARM devices and how to add and remove apps on them in your company. I hope this helps some, but please post back if you have other questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Jesse

• Marked as answer by kokoroastrum Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:14 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by kokoroastrum Thursday, September 6, 2012 1:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by mark_1h Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:51 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:48 PM
  • hey jesse,

I think I get it know. For non enterprise editions i can create a management infrastructure (this HAS to be created in an enterprise edition tho right?)that will allow me to connect any version of Win8/winRT to. And as long as I have enabled  the trust non window app in the group policy I will be able to put the apps i made onto those devices. LOB apps must still be signed tho technically so aslong as you can get it certified for the windows store (ie via VS 2012 or app packager) it's certification will work (dont need a different type of certification). 

Visual Studios 2012(any version) for windows 8 has a simulator so I don't need a enterprise win8 to develop apps and try to test it with sideloading.[im not the IT admin so I prob wont get an enterprise edition.]

Windows Server 2012(any verion??) can sideload aswell.

To connect metro apps with sql DB's I must go through a webservice using the http client class.

Please correct me for any invalid statements.

Thanks

Friday, August 24, 2012 2:53 PM