none
SQL 2005 sessions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a .net 2.0 windows forms application (done with VS 2008 Pro), where I connect to SQL Server 2005 (Express edition for now) database using ADO.NET.

I set-up DataSet(s) and configured ONE, permament MyConnectionString to access my SQL2005 database from within my app, where I persisted security info - in final release I'm planning not to persist login details directly, of course.

I have one SQL2005 user/login set-up in the database, with permissions to access data - MyConnectionString is set to these login details/credentials.

The app is now distributed along few users in my company, to run tests with real life data.

Each worstation uses the same SQL2005 login details (SQL user/login), then - this is single-instance-application.

In the SQL database, I take benefits of CURSORs (use @@FETCH_STATUS) and use CONTEXT_INFO too.
    I'm careful and don't use CURSORs nested one in another.

-----

1/. Is it safe to use one SQL login / user for more than one workstation (physical user) ?

2/. What does a session mean at all ?

3/. Does SQL server create a session (? or anything) for each workstation, even with the same login details ?

4/. Is @@FETCH_STATUS and CONTEXT_INFO session-safe ?

5/. How do I need to configure MyConnectionString / AdvancedProperties in VisualStudio properly:

? MARS

? Transaction Binding

? Pooling

? Context Connection

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:39 AM

Answers

• Hi

Hard to answer detaily all of your questions here, you can dive a lot on each one. But I will give you the basics and feel free to ask more details

1 - Yes, It is safe to use same login/user for many users. The only constraints would be licensing (your server is not XP Pro or Vista, right?; SQL Server Express doesn't have specific restriction on this), and performance (can your server handle the load for the number of users you have, without getting slow response to them?)

2 - It basically means: a permanent connection between the client and the server, which you keep "open" so the results of a command (particularly, error messages) are still available for the next commands. You may say "the space between the open and the close calls"

3 - Yes, there is a session with each workstation. Note that most of the session information lives on the client, even if the server has information for all, it is light enough to scale

4 - Yes, they are variables per session; and they don't mix with other sessions.

5 - You probably are fine with the default configuration:

* MARS - keep it disabled, unless you need Multiple Asynchronous Results

* Transaction Pooling - disabled, unless you have very specific transaction requirements

* Pooling - Enabled (by default), but for your WinForm application (one connection per client computer) should not make a difference. The major difference is when you have multiple connections in the same client computer, for example a web server that may have multiple sessions against a server.

There are topics on MSDN about the ConnectionString structure, you should read them if you need more data on the matter.

Bruno

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 12:41 AM

All replies

• Hi

Hard to answer detaily all of your questions here, you can dive a lot on each one. But I will give you the basics and feel free to ask more details

1 - Yes, It is safe to use same login/user for many users. The only constraints would be licensing (your server is not XP Pro or Vista, right?; SQL Server Express doesn't have specific restriction on this), and performance (can your server handle the load for the number of users you have, without getting slow response to them?)

2 - It basically means: a permanent connection between the client and the server, which you keep "open" so the results of a command (particularly, error messages) are still available for the next commands. You may say "the space between the open and the close calls"

3 - Yes, there is a session with each workstation. Note that most of the session information lives on the client, even if the server has information for all, it is light enough to scale

4 - Yes, they are variables per session; and they don't mix with other sessions.

5 - You probably are fine with the default configuration:

* MARS - keep it disabled, unless you need Multiple Asynchronous Results

* Transaction Pooling - disabled, unless you have very specific transaction requirements

* Pooling - Enabled (by default), but for your WinForm application (one connection per client computer) should not make a difference. The major difference is when you have multiple connections in the same client computer, for example a web server that may have multiple sessions against a server.

There are topics on MSDN about the ConnectionString structure, you should read them if you need more data on the matter.

Bruno

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 12:41 AM
  • Thanks for your clear answers !
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:12 PM