Windows communication for WinCE device RRS feed

• Question

• Iam presently working on GUI for a Wince based device for Industrial control application.

The WinCE device interacts with the industrial device on 4 wire RS485 communication mode using Modbus RTU with 19.2 K baud.

The GUI is being developed on VB .net and I plan to use a VC++ dll for the communication part.

The Wince device enquires the industrial device the status of various parameters.

I had imported some functions from VC++ DLL to Vb.net.

Now if I want to share chunk of data with DLL for serial communications I need to use pointers & addresses which I assume are not supported in Vb.net environment.

Is there any way to pass chunk of data e.g. array to DLL through Vb.net application?

How can we return large data byte arrays to Vb.net Application through VC++ DLL?

VC++ DLL if tested independently works well with the device modbus communications, but unable to share data between these two platforms Vb.net Application & VC++ DLL.

Because of this problem, I have implemented the same DLL in VB .net and it works in desktop environment but not in wince device.  

Why VB.Net DLL fails in win CE environment & works in desktop application?

Any answers in this regard will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Thursday, February 12, 2009 9:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Girireddy,

I have tried to use compact .net framework. Regarding the vb.net that you are using is mainly used for desktop applications. You need to vb.net which compatible for wince .  Please go through the
    • NET Compact Framework 2.0 Redistributable
    • NET Compact Framework 3.5 Redistributable
    .net compact framework is subset version of .net framework 2.0 and 3.5.

Regards,
    Phijo Mathew Philip.

PHIJO PHILIP
    • Marked as answer by Girireddy Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:10 AM
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 5:27 PM