Publishing a private app - is it possible? RRS feed

• Question

• I am a software developer and my wife owns a business where she sells wholesale products.  I have developed some applications for her business, i.e. Lightswitch inventory tracker app.  One of the things that I would like to do is create an application for her business that uses a tablet.  However if I have to put the app in the Windows Store for her to download and use via her Surface tablet can I make it a private app, e.g. only authorized people can see it and download it or am I missing something here?

If I publish a Light Switch application to Windows Azure will she be able to use it from her Surface tablet?

Thanks, -ja

Thursday, November 8, 2012 6:26 PM

Answers

• It is Silverlight and yes I notice that add-ins are not available for IE on Windows RT so the answer would be no then. 

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks, -ja

Friday, November 9, 2012 7:25 PM

All replies

• Windows Store doesn't provide a concept of private apps. You can ask users to login before they can use it and provide this login just for the selected individuals.

If you don't want to publish your app on the Store, you need to read about sideloading - How to Add and Remove Apps , but this model may not work for your business.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 8:10 PM
  • So how soon before MSFT comes out with a tablet that businesses will use because the current one they have is a non-starter. 

Also if you have a web application, i.e. Lightswitch hosted on IIS or Azure can a user browse to it and login using Surface RT?

I am sure the answer to this is yes and will be a much better altenative than sideloading, is that correct?

Thanks, -ja

Friday, November 9, 2012 3:21 AM
  • What is the output of Lightswitch, HTML or Silverlight? I think Silverlight is not available for Windows RT.
    Friday, November 9, 2012 4:17 AM
  • It is Silverlight and yes I notice that add-ins are not available for IE on Windows RT so the answer would be no then. 

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks, -ja

Friday, November 9, 2012 7:25 PM
  • Hi, Andrei. Your post is one year old. Has anything changed since then?

Thanks,

Kirill

Monday, November 25, 2013 11:10 PM
  • Nope, no changes.

Blog: http://lunarfrog.com/blog

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 12:50 AM