Low disk space RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm new to SharePoint, and I've been put in charge of setting up, maintaining and administrating a SharePoint Foundation farm.

Unfortunately, when I was installing it at first I did not have a D: drive on the VM that I am using, so I installed Foundation on the C: drive. I only had 20 Gig of diskspace allocated to the drive. Now as you are probably aware this is not enough space for SharePoint but I was sure that all 20 Gig was enough space for SharePoint server as the SQL server was located on another box with 80 Gig allocated to it.

I've been getting an error on the Central Administration page telling me "Drives are at risk of running out of free space", so I have created another drive, D: drive, on the SharePoint Server and redireted the log files and trace file to a folder on this drive. However I still keep getting this error appearing about the C: drive.

Can anyone please advise me on how to get rid of this error and fix the problem. Also can anyone tell me if my assumption that the SharePoint server does not need to much disk space?

Regards

Stephen

Monday, November 21, 2011 10:53 AM

Answers

• It's always a best practice to move log files to another partition. Microsoft recommends at least 40 GB for system partition, so you may consider extending your partition in near future. Otherwise it will be hard to patch the server.

Regards
    Henrik A. Halmstrand
    sharepointrevealed.com
    getspconfig.codeplex.com
    Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.
    • Marked as answer by StephenB2011 Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:55 AM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 12:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is a health analyser timer job, in SharePoint that keep informing you about free capacity in your server, you can ignore it if you have at least 10% of free disk in your C:\ partition. You can add more disk to C:\ and then extend your system partition. Here is a link telling you different ways of doing that:

http://www.partition-magic.org/windows-server-2008/extend-system-partition-server-2008.html

If you want get rid of it, add more disk or disable the timer job.

Regards
    Henrik A. Halmstrand
    sharepointrevealed.com
    getspconfig.codeplex.com
    Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.
    Monday, November 21, 2011 11:43 AM
  • Hi Henrik,

Thanks for the info. It's been very useful.

Can you tell me if I was correct in directing the log files and the trace file to the D:\ drive. Would this be ok for the meantime instead of using partition-magic as I'm not familure with this product.

Regards

Stephen

Monday, November 21, 2011 12:20 PM
  • It's always a best practice to move log files to another partition. Microsoft recommends at least 40 GB for system partition, so you may consider extending your partition in near future. Otherwise it will be hard to patch the server.

Regards
    Henrik A. Halmstrand
    sharepointrevealed.com
    getspconfig.codeplex.com
    • Marked as answer by StephenB2011 Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:55 AM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 12:40 PM
  • Cheers Henrik,

It's time we got partition magic working so that we don't fall into this hole again.

Thanks for the advice.

Stephen

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:56 AM