none
Annotated C# Reference?

Question

• I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to add comments to Microsoft's online docs for C#.

I use the C# Guide[1] pretty heavily.  Today I was trying to get MemoryMappedFile.CreateFromFile() working.[2]  Many of the MemoryMappedFile methods accept a mapName parameter.  There is not much documentation on this parameter, but it's pretty clear it corresponds to the lpName parameter that is eventually passed into CreateFileMapping().[3]

I would like to add a comment to the MemorMappedReference page to help future users find the reference to CreateFileMapping().  At the very least, it would be *hugely* useful to know that for the mapName parameter:

If mapName matches the name of an existing event, semaphore, mutex, waitable timer, or job object, the function fails, and the GetLastError function returns ERROR_INVALID_HANDLE. This occurs because these objects share the same namespace.

MapName can have a "Global\" or "Local\" prefix to explicitly create the object in the global or session namespace. The remainder of the name can contain any character except the backslash character (\). Creating a file mapping object in the global namespace from a session other than session zero requires the SeCreateGlobalPrivilege privilege. For more information, see Kernel Object Namespaces.

Is there any way to do this?  If not, what is the right way to request this feature be added to the C# Guide/Microsoft online references??

-Mark

[1] C# Guide: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/articles/csharp/
    [2] MemoryMappedFile Class: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/api/system.io.memorymappedfiles.memorymappedfile
    [2] CreateFileMapping(): https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366537(v=vs.85).aspx

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 11:15 PM

Answers

• Hi mmoo9154,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, you could add comments or feedback.

Add comments.

Feedback.(At the bottom right corner of the page.)

I hope this would be helpful.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 6, 2017 7:20 AM
  • Hi mmoo9154,

As you might know all the .NET documentation are open source now and hosted into GitHub. You could do a pull request to the GitHub repository or Write a comment in the issue section. But first you must read the Contribution Guideline. Hope this helps you.

Thanks,
    Sabah Shariq

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Thursday, April 6, 2017 12:11 PM

All replies

• Hi mmoo9154,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, you could add comments or feedback.

Add comments.

Feedback.(At the bottom right corner of the page.)

I hope this would be helpful.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 6, 2017 7:20 AM
  • Hi mmoo9154,

As you might know all the .NET documentation are open source now and hosted into GitHub. You could do a pull request to the GitHub repository or Write a comment in the issue section. But first you must read the Contribution Guideline. Hope this helps you.

Thanks,
    Sabah Shariq

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Thursday, April 6, 2017 12:11 PM