none
ARM connectionstring on import

Question

• Hi,

I've created a Azure Data Factory and i would like to deploy multiple instances fast. I figured that the ARM Package is a perfect fit for that.  I have exported the file and try to import again. When i try to import, it asks for a connection string. In the Json code it is a "secureString". 

Do i just have to put my password there? Or do i have to generate something else? 

Thanks again!

Sample:

{
        "$schema": "https://schema.management.azure.com/schemas/2015-01-01/deploymentParameters.json#",
        "contentVersion": "1.0.0.0",
        "parameters": {
            "factoryName": {
                "value": "MyFactory"
            },
            "AzureDatabase_Test1_connectionString": {
                "value": ""
            },
            "AzureSqlDatabase_Test2_connectionString": {
            },
            "EnterpriseSQL_Test3_connectionString": {
            },
            "integrationRuntime4_properties_typeProperties_ssisProperties_catalogInfo_catalogServerEndpoint": {
                "value": "MyServer.database.windows.net"
            },
            "integrationRuntime4_properties_typeProperties_ssisProperties_catalogInfo_catalogAdminUserName": {
                "value": "d3nnisd"
            },
            "integrationRuntime4_properties_typeProperties_ssisProperties_catalogInfo_catalogAdminPassword": {
            }
        }
    }

Thursday, October 11, 2018 6:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please reenter the password each time you import the arm template.

As ADF does not want to expose customer's credentials in any public files.

Thursday, October 11, 2018 6:31 AM
  • Hi,

So when it asks for the connection string at the import, i just have to fill in my password to that connection?

If , for example, AzureDatabase_Test1 credentials are TestUsername (as login) and my password is TestPassword, My Connection string is TestPassword?

Thursday, October 11, 2018 6:38 AM
  • Hi,

So when it asks for the connection string at the import, i just have to fill in my password to that connection?

If , for example, AzureDatabase_Test1 credentials are TestUsername (as login) and my password is TestPassword, My Connection string is TestPassword?

You need to re-enter the whole connection string.

For AzureSqlDatabase, it follows the pattern: 

Server=tcp:<servername>.database.windows.net,1433;Database=<databasename>;User ID=<username>@<servername>;Password=<password>;Trusted_Connection=False;Encrypt=True;Connection Timeout=30

And you can find the patterns in ADF doc: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/data-factory/connector-azure-sql-database#linked-service-example-that-uses-sql-authentication

Also, connection string can be found in ADF visual tool.

Copy the connnection string value, and append ";password=<yourpassword>" to it.

Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:31 AM