none
VS 2105: Unable to go to cursor position when "promoting to a document" from a Peeking Definition Window

Question

• In Visual Studio 2015 IDE:

1. Open C++ sourc file

2. Peek a definition (Alt+F12)

Result: Peeking is working fine.

3. Decide to Promote to Document (Click using mouse, top right corner of peek definition window)

Actual Result: Peek Window is promoted to a document and cursor is NOT at its position

where the Peeking Definition Windows was showing. Instead it goes to top of document

Expected Result: Peek Window is promoted to a document and cursor position should stay where the definition is located.

Note: This was working in VS 2013

• Edited by vegasys Friday, November 27, 2015 6:39 PM
    Friday, November 27, 2015 6:39 PM

Answers

• 3. Decide to Promote to Document (Click using mouse, top right corner of peek definition window)
    Actual Result*: Peek Window is promoted to a document andcursor is NOT at its position*
                           **where the Peeking Definition Windows was showing. Instead it goes to top of document*?*
    *Expected Result*: Peek Window is promoted to a document and cursor position should stay where the definition is located.

It's working as you'd expect for me.

Is there perhaps some specific circumstance that gives rise to what
    you experience?

Do you have some other 3'rd party tools installed that may be causing
    this?

Dave

Saturday, November 28, 2015 1:02 AM
  • Thanks for Dave's help.

Hi vegasys,

>>

Actual Result: Peek Window is promoted to a document and cursor is NOT at its position

where the Peeking Definition Windows was showing. Instead it goes to top of document

Expected Result: Peek Window is promoted to a document and cursor position should stay where the definition is located.

>>

I also test it in my VS2015 Enterprise version with update 1 RC.

Close "Promote to Document ", I will get the result like the screen shot 2.

So it seems that it also works well in my side. I also test it in my VS2013 with update 5, it has the same result.

So if possible, I suggest you reset your VS settings, and then run your VS in safe mode, at least, we could know that it is not the VS settings or the add-ins' issue.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241273.aspx

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241278.aspx

In addition, you would check that whether all projects have the same issue or juse the specific one. Maybe it is related to the project files or others.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, November 30, 2015 11:31 AM

All replies

• 3. Decide to Promote to Document (Click using mouse, top right corner of peek definition window)
    Actual Result*: Peek Window is promoted to a document andcursor is NOT at its position*
                           **where the Peeking Definition Windows was showing. Instead it goes to top of document*?*
    *Expected Result*: Peek Window is promoted to a document and cursor position should stay where the definition is located.

It's working as you'd expect for me.

Is there perhaps some specific circumstance that gives rise to what
    you experience?

Do you have some other 3'rd party tools installed that may be causing
    this?

Dave

Saturday, November 28, 2015 1:02 AM
  • Thanks for Dave's help.

Hi vegasys,

>>

>>

I also test it in my VS2015 Enterprise version with update 1 RC.

Close "Promote to Document ", I will get the result like the screen shot 2.

So it seems that it also works well in my side. I also test it in my VS2013 with update 5, it has the same result.

So if possible, I suggest you reset your VS settings, and then run your VS in safe mode, at least, we could know that it is not the VS settings or the add-ins' issue.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241273.aspx

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241278.aspx

In addition, you would check that whether all projects have the same issue or juse the specific one. Maybe it is related to the project files or others.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, November 30, 2015 11:31 AM