Snapshot Error RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create a snapshot on a database to drive(D). However getting an error said that "Cannot make the file "file_path" a sparse file. Make sure the file system supports sparse files."

Any help greatly appreciated. 

Sunday, October 21, 2018 4:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Aryine,

Firstly, the FAT32 and RAW file system all don’t support sparse file. Please make sure that your drive file system is NTFS.

Besides, Could you please try to create the snapshot to other drivers or another folder in the same drive. And tell us if the snapshot can be created successfully. Please pay attention that your account has enough permission to the drive or the folder.

Best Regards,

Emily

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Aryine Tuesday, October 23, 2018 4:35 PM
    Monday, October 22, 2018 2:06 AM
  • As Emily said, snapshots can only be created on NTFS volumes. Sparse files are not supported on FAT or FAT32 volumes as such, snapshots cannot be created on them. 

See if the drive is not NTFS formatted. 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" if my response answered your question or click "Vote as helpful" if it helped you in any way.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 12:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Aryine,

Firstly, the FAT32 and RAW file system all don’t support sparse file. Please make sure that your drive file system is NTFS.

Besides, Could you please try to create the snapshot to other drivers or another folder in the same drive. And tell us if the snapshot can be created successfully. Please pay attention that your account has enough permission to the drive or the folder.

Best Regards,

Emily

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, October 22, 2018 2:06 AM
  • As Emily said, snapshots can only be created on NTFS volumes. Sparse files are not supported on FAT or FAT32 volumes as such, snapshots cannot be created on them. 

See if the drive is not NTFS formatted. 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" if my response answered your question or click "Vote as helpful" if it helped you in any way.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 12:20 AM
  • Drive C is NTFS. I used drive D, snapshot was created successfully.

I think it has something wrong on my drive C. I need to scan and repair it.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 4:35 PM