none
Custom Action prompt when checked out.

Question

• When starting a workflow if a document is checked out you get a prompt that you have to check the document in before running a workflow.

I have a custom action that starts the workflow but it doesn't prompt when a user runs it.  This leads to issues where my approval workflow will approve a revision that hasn't been actually submitted.

Is there a way to add that prompt to the custom action?

So far I know that I can build my own URL to start the workflow.  I can also separate javascript with a ; in the custom action.

I've noticed that there are two javascripts that are loaded on the Workflow Start page. 

If the document is checked out you see:  HandleCheckinBeforeStartWorkflow();

If the document is not checked out you see:  StartWorkflow4();

I'm kind of guessing that in order to use these I'd have to load them on the page users are starting the custom action from.  Is it possible to load them without having to modify the default template?

I wanted to avoid having to edit every page just to load some javascript.  Is it possible to 'oneline' a bunch of javascript together?

David Jenkins

Monday, April 10, 2017 2:10 PM

All replies

• Hi David- nice to nose ya! ;)

Couldn't you just have a step to check if a condition is true, and if it is, then start the workflow? You could also use a wait action so that the workflow doesn't trigger instantly. Let me know if I'm missing something.

Now stop clownin' around and get back to work!

cameron rautmann

• Edited by croute1 Monday, April 10, 2017 6:19 PM
    Monday, April 10, 2017 6:19 PM
  • Ha!

That is one step I was going to take.  I'm still not sure how to do that with a REST query.  The workflow is 2013.

I have a 2010 workflow I was going to call to check it, and if not checked in, send an email and quit the workflow.

I was just wondering if anyone had come up with a solution. That would prompt before the workflow started.

David Jenkins

Monday, April 10, 2017 6:42 PM