Get Iteration variable from ForEach Workflow Activity RRS feed

• Question

• Can any one assit me in ascertaining if the following functionality is available?

Within a hosted workflow designer, i have a ForEach activity that contains a sequence and subsequently a custom activity lets say a get data table activity.

When i launch a custom activity editor for the get data activity i would like to be able to determine what variables are available to this activity. Now i am happy that i can easily navigate through the ModelItem tree and check for variables at certain points of the type i am interested in. However I am not sure i am able to use the implicit iteration variable used within the ForEach activity.

I am not sure if this is possible because the iteration variable is not exactly a hard and fast variable that would be available in our designer. However obviously it is certainly in scope of my activity because i can bind it manually.

Any help on this question would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ol

OB
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 11:18 AM

Answers

• Hi Olly,
    The tricky aspect of ForEach which is giving problems is that the iteration variable is not a Variable at all, it is actually a DelegateInArgument.

You can see this more clearly if you look at the serialized XAML than if you are looking in designer:

<ForEach x:TypeArguments="x:Int32" Values="[{1, 2, 3, 4}]">

<ActivityAction x:TypeArguments="x:Int32">

<ActivityAction.Argument>

<DelegateInArgument x:TypeArguments="x:Int32" Name="item" />

</ActivityAction.Argument>

<WriteLine Text="Can I have a little more" />

</ActivityAction>

</ForEach>

You can solve the issue by writing code to iterate through the parent chain of the model item and checking if there are DelegateInArguments. But even that may not be a fully accurate implementation of which variables are visible to the activity at runtime, it's a somewhat complex topic and I could need further research myself to find out if there's a canonical way of finding the exact set of variables/arguments in scope.

I hope this at least helps solve your immediate problem,
    Tim

• Marked as answer by Andrew_Zhu Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:26 AM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 10:46 PM