Visual Studio Pro 2015 Install Errors & .Net Core Preview 2 Tools Failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all :-)

I'm having an odd problem setting up VSPro2015 on a new laptop running Win7 Enterprise.

The installer is completing but fails to install Azure AD Authentication Connected Service or Microsoft Azure Mobile Services Connnected Service - not an imminent problem, I've no present plans to develop against Azure.

However I do have a need to develop against .Net Core, and the installer for .Net Core 1.0.0 VS 2015 Tooling Preview 2 is erroring consistently saying VS2015 Update 3 isn't fully installed. From the logs:

Condition 'WixBundleInstalled OR NOT(NetFx45Release < 378675) OR (WixBundleAction=2)' evaluates to true.
    Condition 'WixBundleInstalled OR VS2015DevEnvExists OR VS2015WebExpressExists OR (WixBundleAction=2)' evaluates to true.
    Condition 'WixBundleInstalled OR (((VS2015CommunityUpdateVersion >= v14.0.25420) OR (VS2015ProfessionalUpdateVersion >= v14.0.25420) OR (VS2015EnterpriseUpdateVersion >= v14.0.25420)) OR (VS2015WebExpressUpdateVersion >= v14.0.25420)) OR (SKIP_VSU_CHECK=1) OR (WixBundleAction=2)' evaluates to true.
    Condition 'WixBundleInstalled OR NOT(((VS2015CommunityUpdateVersion <> VS2015UpdateVersion) AND (VS2015CommunityExists) AND (VS2015UpdateVersionExists)) OR ((VS2015ProfessionalUpdateVersion <> VS2015UpdateVersion) AND (VS2015ProfessionalExists) AND (VS2015UpdateVersionExists)) OR ((VS2015EnterpriseUpdateVersion <> VS2015UpdateVersion) AND (VS2015EnterpriseExists) AND (VS2015UpdateVersionExists)) OR ((VS2015WebExpressUpdateVersion <> VS2015UpdateVersion) AND (VS2015WebExpressExists) AND (VS2015UpdateVersionExists))) OR (SKIP_VSU_CHECK=1) OR (WixBundleAction=2)' evaluates to false.

My installed version is reporting as 14.0.25424.00 Update 3. Given that, I think the portion that must be failing is

(VS2015ProfessionalUpdateVersion <> VS2015UpdateVersion)  AND (VS2015ProfessionalExists) AND (VS2015UpdateVersionExists)

which is puzzling me, as the same update file works on another machine that's reporting the same VS version number.

I've tried repair installs and uninstall / reinstall. I've also tried both the network installer and the ISO image. All of them fail in this way.

Does anyone know how I might be able to get this working so the .Net Core tools will install on the laptop?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 2:44 PM

Answers

• Been able to force an install by telling it to skip the version check -

DotNetCore.1.0.0-VS2015Tools.Preview2.exe SKIP_VSU_CHECK=1

Still doesn't explain the root cause and clearly shouldn't be needed, but any progress is better than none...!

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 4:29 PM

All replies

• Been able to force an install by telling it to skip the version check -

DotNetCore.1.0.0-VS2015Tools.Preview2.exe SKIP_VSU_CHECK=1

Still doesn't explain the root cause and clearly shouldn't be needed, but any progress is better than none...!

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 4:29 PM
  • Hi Greg,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

It looks like you issue already solved, right? Thank you for your sharing.

The reasons that blocked the installation of .NET Core preview2 may be related to the failed VS installation, we need to analysis the VS installation logs to find the detail error information.

BTW, your OS is Windows 7, please make sure the SP1 is be installed, since the VS 2015 is supported on Windows 7 SP1.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 28, 2016 6:02 AM
  • Hi Sara,

SP1 is installed.

Agree the VS install is likely to be the root cause; odd that it regularly failed, it's a new and (almost) clean machine with identical specs to another it went in on without hesitation, and as I said I've tried both repair installs and uninstall / reinstalls. So, whatever is blocking it is either outside VS' scope (not sure how...?) or is an artefact of a previous installation that neither the repair nor the uninstall is touching.

I'd gladly have dived through the VS install logs to identify the issue but the log viewer is spectacularly unhelpful for this, giving a narrow results window blocking copying more than a single line out at a time - hence why I didn't post the logs from that. Notepad (as used by the update installer) was much easier to work with.

Greg

Thursday, July 28, 2016 9:00 AM
  • Hi Greg,

Thank you for your update and I'm so glad to hear that your issue is solve, thank you for your sharing.

BTW, if you think your reply is helpful, please mark is as answer, it will help other community members who have the same or similar issue to easier search this solution.

Thank you for your understanding and have a nice day.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 28, 2016 9:58 AM