none
Unable to install Sql server 2008 R2 on Virtual Machine in Azure

Question

• Hi

I have created a virutal machine windows 2008 R2 SP1, trying to install sql server 2008 R2 keeps failng to install sql management studio 

Thanks,

Mani

Thanks, Mani

Friday, June 22, 2012 3:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Mani,

Try these steps to correct the manifest:

1. Run takeown and icacls so you can edit the file:

takeown /f C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc80.atl_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4053_none_d1c738ec43578ea1.manifest

icacls C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc80.atl_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4053_none_d1c738ec43578ea1.manifest /grant Administrators:F

2. Open it to make the change:

notepad C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc80.atl_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4053_none_d1c738ec43578ea1.manifest

3. Paste in the correct data:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
     <!-- Copyright © 1981-2001 Microsoft Corporation -->
     <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
         <noInheritable/>
         <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC80.ATL" version="8.0.50727.4053" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"/>
         <file name="ATL80.dll" hash="6d7ce37b5753aa3f8b6c2c8170011b000bbed2e9" hashalg="SHA1"/>
     </assembly>

4. Save and close the file, then try launching the SQL tools.

While it is a simple repro just to blank out that file to get the SQL tools to fail, I did not repro it by building a VM from that same image and installing SQL 2008 R2 with the "All Features with Defaults" option, and installing all Windows updates.

The only difference I see in your configuration is that you ended up with the VC++ redist installed but I did not:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17

That manifest is for ATL80.DLL which comes with the VC++ redist. It does get installed by SQL, but in my test I didn't get the redist showing up as a distinct, installed component like you did.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 5:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Mani,

Was the VM created from R2 image under Platform Images, meaning the one provided in the portal, not one that you uploaded yourself?

What exact error do you see installing SQL Management Studio?

Do you see any Event ID 59 source SideBySide in the Application log?

Thanks,
    Craig

Friday, June 22, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Hi Craig,

I used the image from portal. basically created using quick create image from portal.

Yes that is the error and I see event id 59 when I launch the sql management studio

please refer the screen shot

Thanks, Mani

Friday, June 22, 2012 3:54 PM
  • Hi Mani,

Yes that is the same issue we are investigating. Can you run the following PowerShell command to show what software is installed?

gwmi win32_product | select name | sort name

Thanks,
    Craig

• Proposed as answer by bkleckner Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:07 PM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 4:50 PM
  • Hi Craig

here you got

name                                                                                                                   
    ----                                                                                                                   
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile                                                                              
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended                                                                                    
    Microsoft Application Error Reporting                                                                                  
    Microsoft Office 2003 Web Components                                                                                   
    Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributable 2008 (KB971119)                                                                
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Books Online                                                                              
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client                                                                             
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Policies                                                                                  
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 RsFx Driver                                                                               
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup (English)                                                                           
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Setup Support Files                                                                          
    Microsoft SQL Server Browser                                                                                           
    Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 ENU                                                                               
    Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 Query Tools ENU                                                                   
    Microsoft SQL Server System CLR Types (x64)                                                                            
    Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer                                                                                        
    Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 (x64)                                                                            
    Microsoft Sync Services for ADO.NET v2.0 (x64)                                                                         
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Shell (integrated mode) - ENU                                                             
    Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications 2.0 - ENU                                                               
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Analysis Services                                                                                   
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Analysis Services                                                                                   
    SQL Server 2008 R2 BI Development Studio                                                                               
    SQL Server 2008 R2 BI Development Studio                                                                               
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Client Tools                                                                                        
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Client Tools                                                                                        
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Common Files                                                                                        
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Common Files                                                                                        
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Database Engine Services                                                                            
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Database Engine Services                                                                            
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Database Engine Shared                                                                              
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Database Engine Shared                                                                              
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Full text search                                                                                    
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Integration Services                                                                                
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Integration Services                                                                                
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Studio                                                                                   
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Studio                                                                                   
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Reporting Services                                                                                  
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Reporting Services                                                                                  
    Sql Server Customer Experience Improvement Program                                                                     

Thanks, Mani

Friday, June 22, 2012 5:53 PM
  • Hi Mani,

Yes that is the same issue we are investigating. Can you run the following PowerShell command to show what software is installed?

gwmi win32_product | select name | sort name

Thanks,
    Craig

Hope you don't need any other information. I'm planning to delete the machine to avoid the usage charge.

Thanks, Mani

Friday, June 22, 2012 9:02 PM
  • Hi Mani,

thanks for your efforts in this. We have what we need and are continuing our investigation.

John

Saturday, June 23, 2012 12:02 AM
  • Hi Mani,

If you run this:

notepad C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc80.atl_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4053_none_d1c738ec43578ea1.manifest

Does that file contain this:

<noInheritable/>
        <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC80.ATL" version="8.0.50727.4053" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"/>
        <file name="ATL80.dll" hash="6d7ce37b5753aa3f8b6c2c8170011b000bbed2e9" hashalg="SHA1"/>
    </assembly>

Or is it empty/corrupted?

Thanks,

Craig

Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Hi Craig,

Yes, this file is empty.

Kind Regards,

Mani

Thanks, Mani

Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:15 AM
  • Hi Mani,

Try these steps to correct the manifest:

1. Run takeown and icacls so you can edit the file:

takeown /f C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc80.atl_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4053_none_d1c738ec43578ea1.manifest

icacls C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc80.atl_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4053_none_d1c738ec43578ea1.manifest /grant Administrators:F

2. Open it to make the change:

3. Paste in the correct data:

<noInheritable/>
     </assembly>

4. Save and close the file, then try launching the SQL tools.

While it is a simple repro just to blank out that file to get the SQL tools to fail, I did not repro it by building a VM from that same image and installing SQL 2008 R2 with the "All Features with Defaults" option, and installing all Windows updates.

The only difference I see in your configuration is that you ended up with the VC++ redist installed but I did not:

That manifest is for ATL80.DLL which comes with the VC++ redist. It does get installed by SQL, but in my test I didn't get the redist showing up as a distinct, installed component like you did.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 5:36 PM
  • Hi Craig,

You nailed down this issue and resolved it. Thanks a ton.

BTW,

Any Ideas, How can I connect this sql server machine with a Web server through port 1433. Any firewall I need to configure or any tips wold be appreciated.  Both the virtual machine are windows and in windows azure.

Thanks, Mani

Sunday, June 24, 2012 9:31 PM
  • Hi Craig,

I got the answer from this post

https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/manage/windows/common-tasks/install-sql-server/

Thanks, Mani

Sunday, June 24, 2012 9:40 PM
  • Hi Mani,

Glad to hear that got your working. We would like to collect additional information to understand how this reproduced in the first place.

Can you send mail to iaasforum@microsoft.com so we can follow up on that with you?

Thanks,

Craig

Monday, June 25, 2012 10:00 PM
  • Mark, it fixed my issue, greate thanks:)
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:35 AM
  • Hi Craig,

I am having a similar issue.  However, when I try the steps you suggested, those files don't exist in my system before the SQL Server installation is run.

I get this error when I try a clean install of SQL Server management studio or even the full SQL Server 2008 Express.

Error message.

This error shows up on the following VM images:

Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, May 2012, with .NET 3.5.1 feature
    Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, June 2012, with .NET 3.5.1 feature
    Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, June 2012, with .NET 3.5.1 feature and all updates applied.
    Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, June 2012, with .NET 3.5.1 feature and VC++ 2008 and 2005 redistributables.

Any other suggestions how I can get a clean install of SQL Server management studio in any of the Azure VM images

Thanks,

Jun

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 3:45 AM
  • Jun,

I had similar issues and after various failed installs I found doing things in the following order gave me a relatively clean install.

Note - the issue only seems to be related to the client tools.

1. Install SQL Server but don't install any client tools (simple or advanced).  Install will go through properly.
    2. Install SQL service pack (shouldn't ask you to install client tools). Again - will go through properly.
    3. Go back to the first installation ISO and add shared features. Add the client tools. This will either fail like your screen shoot or go through but either way you will end up with the 'Side by Side' error once installed.
    4. Correct the manifest as in the post by Craig Landis in this thread. The contents of the manifest file should be empty. Once corrected you can run Management tools.
    5. Service pack Management Studio if you want.

James

• Edited by James Poll Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:47 AM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:47 AM
  • I have similar issue and figured out that it happens, If you extract the ISO with zip programs or some of the files are missing.

best approach is mount ISO or use WINRAR also follow craig steps.

Thanks,

Mani

Thanks, Mani

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:52 AM
  • Hi James,

This will be good for my image that needs the actual SQL Server.  However, I have a couple of VMs that only need the client tools and would rather save space and avoid installing SQL Server.  Have you found a way to do this?

In the meantime, I'll follow your steps to set up my database VM.

Thanks,

jun

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 3:51 PM
  • Hi Mani,

I've read about the same issue in other forums too.  So instead of using an ISO image, I downloaded the SQL Server 2008 R2 Express ( SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe ) and ran the executable.  Ended up getting the same error.

Going to try the sequence that James suggested and see.  However, I am still trying to get a VM with only the client tools.  I guess I could install the complete SQL Server and then uninstall it, but would rather not do that if possible.

Thanks,

jun

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 3:58 PM
  • Hi James,

I followed the steps you suggested with a minor change.  I performed step 4 before step 3.  This bypasses the 'Side by Side' error while installing the client tools.

Thanks!

jun

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:42 PM
  • Jun,

Excellent news! I wish I thought of your way as that would be the cleanest install. Glad you got it working.

James

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:56 PM
  • Hi Craig, the I faced the same issue with August 2012 image of Windows 2008 R2. Is it possible to fix it in image instead of modifying some manifest files?

Thanks,
    Alex

Sunday, September 16, 2012 7:37 PM
  • I know it's been a few months but I wanted to key in that this issue still arrises today.

I created a new VM and installed SQL Express 2008 from WPI. As Well as SSMS. Everything worked well, until after I installed WebsitePanel. I redid the VM and installed the old version DotNetPanel and both SQL Server and SSMS would not start. After following Craig's instructions to fix SSMS and instructions on another post to do something very similar, everything worked great.

Thanks.

Saturday, January 5, 2013 7:55 PM
  • This seem to have fixed the issue for me as well. I think this was caused because of a few files getting corrupted while data transfer over ftp. Uploading ISO to azure would always be a better way I guess...
    Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:38 PM