Easiest way to host workflow foundation in azure? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I haven't found anything after 2013, much less with the current crop of azure services, so here goes:

Given that I want

• a state machine workflow
    • long running workflow instances (it's a kind of helpdesk system where a ticket "lives" for months)
    • timers (like, do something if no event has been received for three weeks)

what hosting options do I have in azure?

I

• would prefer something creatable as an azure app service (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/app-service/)
    • am ok if the communication is wcf based (I can always put a logic app in front of it for the translation)
    • would like to avoid having a full virtual windows system.

So, what options are there? I'm particularly concerned with the timer thing, because we have to send contract expiration notices and such.

Lots of Greetings!

Volker

PS: Also, is there a reason for the silence on WF/azure? Is there something else in the making? If yes, when?

• Edited by v_he Wednesday, March 2, 2016 8:02 PM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 1:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you want to choose Azure service, first you need to know which service is the best choice. Please have a look at this article: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/choose-web-site-cloud-service-vm/. Based on your description, I think Azure cloud service may be a good choice, you could have a look at this session to get more information about how to Building, Running, and Managing Workflows on Windows Azure, here is the link: https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2012/AZR321. I don't know why WF/azure is so silence, from my research, maybe something is happening. there may be more articles later. 

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Friday, April 1, 2016 3:05 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2016 2:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you want to choose Azure service, first you need to know which service is the best choice. Please have a look at this article: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/choose-web-site-cloud-service-vm/. Based on your description, I think Azure cloud service may be a good choice, you could have a look at this session to get more information about how to Building, Running, and Managing Workflows on Windows Azure, here is the link: https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2012/AZR321. I don't know why WF/azure is so silence, from my research, maybe something is happening. there may be more articles later. 

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Friday, April 1, 2016 3:05 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2016 2:45 AM
  • Hi,

I am curious as to how you proceeded with this.

We host our workflows in AppFabric on premise but have a new project that is an ideal candidate to be built in Azure and also backed by Windows Workflows.

We've already been bitten by the fact that AppFabric went EOL and don't want to make the same mistake again with a product like Workflow Manager that as you said hasn't been updated since 2013.

There is an Apress book called Pro WF 4.5 with an entire chapter dedicated to hosting workflows in Azure backed by Worker Roles in Cloud Services so right now we are leaning towards this since it doesn't involve and additional middleware.

SG

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 2:32 PM
  • SG - wouldn't it be nice if Microsoft would address the issue of viability of WF and WF for Azure?  If Microsoft tells us that there's a future with this technology, then fine.  If Microsoft tells us that's its a dead-end technology, then fine.  Being silent is unbelievably unprofessional and irresponsible towards their own customers.
    Saturday, October 8, 2016 3:21 PM
  • I'd like to point out that WF has been very quiet since 2013 and not just with Azure. It would be nice for Microsoft to clarify their stand with this product. I'm currently undertaking a project that will be heavily relying on WF but I'm also taking a huge gamble as I have no idea where Microsoft is going with this and it is especially worrying considering the lack of updates coming from Microsoft.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2016 10:05 AM
  • I agree.   As we are scoping out a new project and trying to decide if WF is a viable solution, the lack of both user activity in forums and the lack of news from Microsoft is unsettling.    I am beginning to think that building a new application that relies heavily on Windows Workflow foundation could be a mistake.   Would anyone from the .NET/WF develop team care to respond or publish some more info?

Paul Martin

Friday, October 21, 2016 7:16 PM