Access is denied to connect to SSIS RRS feed

• Question

• I have already read many articles explaining how to configure SSIS for remote access. However, I still getting the message "access is denied" when I am trying to connect to SSIS using SSMS.

Here are the steps I have tried:

1 - I am using SSMS 16.5.3 version which is compatible with my SQL Server 2016

2 - DCOM configuration  - I granted access to a group for remote launch, activation, and access.

3 - I added the group into the local DCOM group of the Windows Server

4 - I restarted the SQL services and the server

The SQL Server 2016 is installed on a Windows Server 2019 and I am trying to access SSIS from a Windows 10 machine.

Did I miss something? Could you help me please?

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 1:07 AM

Answers

• I found the issue... It was the DCOM configuration.

All the articles Ive read give instructions to change "Launch and Activation" and "Access" permissions, but not "Configuration"

As soon as I changed the "Configuration Permissions" and granted "Full Control" to the user group for "Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services 13.0 application" it worked!

Previously I granted only read permission.

Thanks for all your replies!
    • Marked as answer by DevOpsGuy Wednesday, March 6, 2019 8:02 PM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 8:01 PM

All replies

• You have to start SSMS on the machine where SSIS is running with "Raun as Administrator".

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 7:20 AM
  • Hi DevOpsGuy, 

Please check the steps in Ramu's reply:

SSIS Remote connection access

If it's SSIS 2016 in your case, you will need to edit the Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services 13.0 application. 

After given proper permissions to the Domain user, you will be able to access Integration Services using that account on the server locally(run SSMS as that user). 

To access SSIS from different machine, you will also need to configure the Windows Firewall for SSIS. Or you will see this error : 

Connecting to the Integration Services service on the computer "" failed with the following error: "The RPC server is unavailable.".

Inbound rule->Program, select "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\130\DTS\Binn\MsDtsSrvr.exe"...

See How to Configure Windows Firewall for SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services)

After all these steps, you will be able to connect to SSIS remotely using domain account. 

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Edited by Yang.Z Wednesday, March 6, 2019 9:02 AM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 9:02 AM
  • Yang,

Thanks for you replay.

I forgot to mention on my first post that I have configured firewall as well for remote access. Here is my firewall configuration.

netsh firewall add portopening protocol=TCP port=135 name="SSIS Port" mode=ENABLE scope=SUBNET

netsh firewall add allowedprogram program="%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\130\DTS\Binn\MsDtsSrvr.exe" name="SSIS Service" scope=SUBNET

On my first post I also mentioned that I configured the DCOM which is the same steps you described on you reply to me.

If I grant administrative access to the SQL server (local admin group) to the end user, it works.

But I cannot do that for security reasons.

Do you guy have any other idea?

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 7:30 PM
  • Hi DevOpsGuy,

Then such an unprivileged user may lack the run and activate DCOM permission that needs to be granted.

See http://blog.sql-assistance.com/index.php/connecting-to-a-remote-integration-services-server for more details.

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 7:50 PM
  • I found the issue... It was the DCOM configuration.

All the articles Ive read give instructions to change "Launch and Activation" and "Access" permissions, but not "Configuration"

As soon as I changed the "Configuration Permissions" and granted "Full Control" to the user group for "Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services 13.0 application" it worked!

Previously I granted only read permission.

Thanks for all your replies!
    • Marked as answer by DevOpsGuy Wednesday, March 6, 2019 8:02 PM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 8:01 PM