none
Conversion of desktop to client/server application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm looking for advice about creating client/server application. I asked question on several sites, and no one answer. Because my desktop app is in VC#  I tried on VC#  General forum but they say ask there. I think that it isn't big problem, but I need some guide, where to look, what to look.
    I didn't do this until now, and I do not know where to start. How to upgrade my desktop application into client server that would be run from many computers? Database will be on one PC and few computers will be able to run that app. How to build client/server app? Please. Maybe I just should install desktop app on few PCs and the database server will do the rest. Is it? Anyone?
    Friday, December 5, 2008 9:10 PM

Answers

• I would first suggest, to install SQL Server on a machine and change the connection string setting on your lab machine to make sure all your app features still work the same.  Then install the app on another machine and test if your server works from two machines.  If that is successful, then you are good to go from all the PCs.  If you encounter errors post back, your error.

BTW, I meant "running the DB on a server" because SQL Server is meant to run on a Windows Server 200x depending on the version of SQL server you are using on production environment.  What version of SQL Server your current application is built?

Monday, December 8, 2008 1:55 AM

All replies

• Uros, I believe you did not receive lot of feedback because the answer to your question can be very elaborate or simple depending on what your application does and the need for converting to client/server solution.

A simplistic approach would be to use a database that can handle multiple client requests like SQL Server/Oracle/MySQL, etc., and run it on a server.  Change connection string on your desktop application to use the database instance running on a server.

For an enterprise grade, please look at the an enterprise architecture that I have published at http://gajakannan.com/netarch.aspx

Hope this helps your quest.

Friday, December 5, 2008 9:36 PM
  • Thank God that someone responded. My application should be used in medical laboratory and it stored data about analysis, results, patient's data etc. Classic desktop app that work with DB. I assume that to make it client/server I should install it on every PC and let the DB server (SQL Server) do the multiple client request. This mean that I nothing should change ?! What should I do with SQL server settings? Nothing, or there is something?
    I have one panel on main form which only few user can access. I have login on start where I validate if that user have right to see that panel and on that basis I enable panel for specific user. I think that this also will remain same.

Can you explain "
    , and run it on a server.". I don't understand this part. I understand that you are saying that application should execute on server ?! Do you think like web application and I need to redesign application to work in web browser?

Please, just a little more information, that I could start doing something myself

Friday, December 5, 2008 11:33 PM
  • I would first suggest, to install SQL Server on a machine and change the connection string setting on your lab machine to make sure all your app features still work the same.  Then install the app on another machine and test if your server works from two machines.  If that is successful, then you are good to go from all the PCs.  If you encounter errors post back, your error.

BTW, I meant "running the DB on a server" because SQL Server is meant to run on a Windows Server 200x depending on the version of SQL server you are using on production environment.  What version of SQL Server your current application is built?

Monday, December 8, 2008 1:55 AM
  • Hi,

Seems you got the answer. I would say give a try to ClickOnce deployment because custom installation on each client can put you in mess.

Thanks.
    Monday, December 8, 2008 6:20 PM
  • Thank you. I thought that It should work without redesigning it. OK, Windows Server to install and on that  machine to install SQL Server.
    Also I would look for ClickOnce deployment.
    I appreciate yours time.
    Monday, December 8, 2008 7:57 PM