Custom Logon Images RRS feed

• Question

• Regarding Section 5.2.1 and 5.2.4 in CTP Lab:

A few questions:

5.2.1:
    Is there any way to show a custom logo/animation?

5.2.4:
    Is there any way to change/modify/suppress the actual password entry area and default logo outline?
    Friday, October 9, 2009 4:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Phil,

5.2.1:

I am not sure I understand where you want to show a custom logo/animation so I am going to guess you are referring to the boot process.
    The best you can do (in a supported manner) is to remove the kernel boot screen animation by using:
    bcdedit /set {current} bootux disabled  
    This can be added as an async command or run online. We are planning to add a method to automate this.

You can then use the package "Custom Logon Desktop Background Images" to replace the bitmap shown on the windows startup screens. You can replace this with a custom bitmap with the logo you desire. A custom animation is not supported.

5.2.4:
    Is there any way to change/modify/suppress the actual password entry area and default logo outline?

The logon can be modified by creating a custom credential provider as can be done on any windows 7 computer.
    We plan to provide samples and a white paper in the near future.

I would appreciate it if you could give a brief explanation of the scenario you are trying to support so we will have a better understanding of the customizatoin needs of our customers.

MSPM
    Friday, October 9, 2009 6:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Phil,

5.2.1:

I am not sure I understand where you want to show a custom logo/animation so I am going to guess you are referring to the boot process.
    The best you can do (in a supported manner) is to remove the kernel boot screen animation by using:
    This can be added as an async command or run online. We are planning to add a method to automate this.

You can then use the package "Custom Logon Desktop Background Images" to replace the bitmap shown on the windows startup screens. You can replace this with a custom bitmap with the logo you desire. A custom animation is not supported.

5.2.4:

The logon can be modified by creating a custom credential provider as can be done on any windows 7 computer.

I would appreciate it if you could give a brief explanation of the scenario you are trying to support so we will have a better understanding of the customizatoin needs of our customers.

MSPM
    Friday, October 9, 2009 6:11 PM
  • Hi Phil,

5.2.1:

5.2.4:

MSPM

Your explanation gives me a clear idea. Thanks a lot. I'll ask for help if I need.
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 9:07 AM
  • Hi Adam,

You mentioned that "A custom animation is not supported" when answering the question for 5.2.1.  Are there any plans to provide a means to customize the animation, or at the very lease replace it with a custom image?

Thanks

Monday, August 2, 2010 4:11 PM
  • Adam (or anyone else interested at MS!), you ask for a 'brief explanation of the scenario...' to understand the customer's customisation needs.

Here is ours, (booting, starting from pre windows...) It is for commercial/industrial equipment.

1, Bios, no manufacturer's boot screen/text/options, just our company logo.

2, Boots using the product logo.

3, Background screen is set to a different product logo.

4, Boots in to comand line shell, but auto starts our app instead of cmd (does not go to the log in screen).

Some windows GUI components do come through in the software apps we deploy (selected item colour etc), so these are adjusted as required.

Thus the user sees a number of different screens, all pertaining the our product/company only. These change as the process progresses so the user can see changes and does not think that the process has stalled/failed.

The software and hardware platforms are transparent to the end user.

All this was possible in XP embeded, but with WES7 it seems to have taken a backward step, in that the 'Welcome' text cannot be removed (changed) without a hack.

From a support perspective we can ascertain at what point a system has failed by asking the user what is displayed on the screen.

Likewise, shutdown is achieved either through a software on-screen button, or through the power switch, and should not give Windows is shutting down messages, after all, as a user i don't want to know the internal mother board is shutting down, or that my ATX power supply is in standby, i just want the product as a whole to turn itself off when asked.

Most applications of WES7 are products/systems, not actually just computers, so the end user will be interacting with them as products/devices, so not necessarily as they would with a computer. We certainly do not want our customers to feel they are using a computer.

I would be delighted to give more info on the type of applications/requirements we have, do let me know if that would be useful.

Blue

Friday, October 15, 2010 1:44 PM
  • Our environment is very similar.  We must be able to customize each of the screens that you descrcribed.   If we can't customize these screens than management will toss WES7 out the window and we'll go to an alternative OS
    Friday, October 15, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Ditto for us and dozens of other collegues I spoke with on this issue.  we need a "supported" way of hiding all MSFT messages on boot, shutdown and everywhere else.  we are a Linux shop and were planning on moving to wes7 but becuase of this issue the entire project is in jeopardy.  the biggest doubters of wes7 are telling everyone "told you so", Microsoft can take any feature back and put you in limbo with no warning and rationale.

can someone from MS please address this?

thanks.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:38 PM
  • to add to this. this is a brain dead thing to do in Linux, why is WES7 team not giving full control over branding our own devices and shoving MS logos and messages?

to be able to have full control over branding is critical for device manufacturers.  If wes7 team has any hope to compete here with Linux, you have to not act like post office.  for those of us putting our jobs on line for wes7, this is most disappointing to see.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:57 PM
  • to add to this. this is a brain dead thing to do in Linux, why is WES7 team not giving full control over branding our own devices and shoving MS logos and messages?

to be able to have full control over branding is critical for device manufacturers.  If wes7 team has any hope to compete here with Linux, you have to not act like post office.  for those of us putting our jobs on line for wes7, this is most disappointing to see.

Well, I would say it is a brain dead thing to put one's job on the line for WES7 when you got Linux =)
    Friday, February 11, 2011 9:13 PM
  • Is there a way to remove "Windows Embedded Standard 7" logo on the bottom of the custom logon screen (background)?
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 4:58 AM
  • Add the Unbranded Startup Screens package, and you will also need to have a run time license key for the logo to go away all together.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 6:08 AM
  • Hi Sean

Will I be able to create a custom log-on image without the "WES 7" logo if I added the Unbranded Startup Screens package? I thought adding this package will remove all MS branding including the logon screen.

Sunday, March 13, 2011 6:15 PM
  • "You can then use the package "Custom Logon Desktop Background Images" to replace the bitmap shown on the windows startup screens. You can replace this with a custom bitmap with the logo you desire."
    "Mark/Propose As Answer" if you got one.
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:24 PM