none
Database version 2005 failed to upgrade to 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, I am trying to migration our client's database version 2005 to VPS running MS SQL 2016 Web edition.

I was trying to upgrade the database from version 2005 to 2008, then from 2008 to 2014, and so on. However, my upgrade failed when I tried attach database version 2005 in MS SQL 2008 R2 Express. I even tried to restore from the database version 2000 but still no luck. Below are the error that I encounter:

A severe error occurred on the current command.  The results, if any, should be discarded.
    Converting database 'Eyecon_OMS3_GST' from version 611 to the current version 661.
    Database 'Eyecon_OMS3_GST' running the upgrade step from version 611 to version 621.
    Database 'Eyecon_OMS3_GST' running the upgrade step from version 621 to version 622.
    Database 'Eyecon_OMS3_GST' running the upgrade step from version 622 to version 625.
    Database 'Eyecon_OMS3_GST' running the upgrade step from version 625 to version 626. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

------------------------------
    For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.50.2500&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=0&LinkId=20476

Server Name: AS-XP\SQLEXPRESS
    Error Number: 0
    Severity: 11
    State: 0

Program Location:
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionManager.ExecuteTSql(ExecuteTSqlAction action, Object execObject, DataSet fillDataSet, Boolean catchException)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection.ExecuteNonQuery(String sqlCommand, ExecutionTypes executionType)

Below are the error shown in Event Viewer:
    During upgrade, database raised exception 2905, severity 25, state 1, address 02A5B0B0. Use the exception number to determine the cause.
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I've both restore from backup file and in-place upgrade but no luck. I got stuck in 2008, and can't move on to version 2016. Could please assist on the above matter.
    Hope someone can give some advise on how to solve the above matter. Thanks.
    Monday, February 10, 2020 12:03 PM

All replies

• There is no need to jump past SQL 2008 - you can restore backups from SQL 2005 on SQL 2016. Likewise can you attach database files.

Then again, there seems to be a problem with this database. Could be a bug in SQL 2008 that is fixed in SQL 2016, but I am not holding my breath.

Have you run DBCC CHECKDB on this database on SQL 2005?

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Monday, February 10, 2020 10:22 PM
  • Hello,

Since you except to migrate database from SQL 2005 to SQL 2016, you don't need to bring SQL Server 2008 into the mix.

You can restore SQL 2005 backup in SQL 2016 directly or attach database files. It an important that increase the compatibility level : ALTER DATABASE Compatibility Level.

And here is an demo introduce Upgrade SQL Server 2005 to 2014, you can refer to it.

Hope it will help. Any further questions, let us know.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 11, 2020 2:42 AM
  • Sorry for my late reply, got some trouble on my forum login. :(

Hi Erland Sommarskog,

Initially I tried the restore backup file or attach database file from SQL 2005 to SQL 2014, and I got the same error. However, I manage to trim problem happen during the upgrade from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008

Also, I did DBCC CHECKDB on the database before upgrade and there isn't any error.

Hi Dawn Yang, 

I tried that previously, but got the same error.

Appreciate if any of you have any suggestion to trouble shoot my problem. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

KahenG

Friday, February 14, 2020 2:50 AM
  • Looks like your only option is to export all data, script the database and re-import on a higher version.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Friday, February 14, 2020 10:41 PM