none
Server 2008 after SYSPREP will not install DNS RRS feed

• Question

• Working with VMware ESXi (Yes I know, bad Ju-Ju!) and server 2008 x64, I am trying to create a master image so that I can clone many servers from one. I have my Server built exactly the way that I want, I am able to install the DNS service before SYSPREP. But after SYSPREP when I try to install DNS alone or in conjunction with DCPROMO I get the following error Message:

"Attemt to install DNS servr failed with error code 0x80070643. Fatal error during installation."

My virtual machine has 4 NIC's of which three are disabled, one has an IPv4 address. I have installed the hotfix for KB 975654 and still have the issue. I am using an Answer File to do the SYSPREP. Just want to see if anybody else has run into this issue...

Thanks for replies!

Friday, February 5, 2010 10:07 PM

Answers

• Yes, we were changing the Default RPC ports to a range of 3535-3939 before doing a DCPROMO, this is what caused our issue. We then changed the range to be 49152-49556 and this resolved the problem.
    • Marked as answer by Robert Hodge Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:59 PM
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:58 PM

All replies

• Working with VMware ESXi (Yes I know, bad Ju-Ju!) and server 2008 x64, I am trying to create a master image so that I can clone many servers from one. I have my Server built exactly the way that I want, I am able to install the DNS service before SYSPREP. But after SYSPREP when I try to install DNS alone or in conjunction with DCPROMO I get the following error Message:

"Attemt to install DNS servr failed with error code 0x80070643. Fatal error during installation."

My virtual machine has 4 NIC's of which three are disabled, one has an IPv4 address. I have installed the hotfix for KB 975654 and still have the issue. I am using an Answer File to do the SYSPREP. Just want to see if anybody else has run into this issue...

Thanks for replies!

I also encountered the problem. Have you solved it? Maybe you can post the workaround here. Thanks.
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:18 AM
  • Yes, we were changing the Default RPC ports to a range of 3535-3939 before doing a DCPROMO, this is what caused our issue. We then changed the range to be 49152-49556 and this resolved the problem.
    • Marked as answer by Robert Hodge Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:59 PM
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:58 PM