none
Excel XML-format, headers and footers in different language-versions RRS feed

• Question

• Bad subject perhaps...
    From my web application I generate an Excel XML-spreadsheet and got it working on my Mac (using Excel 2008 English), but now I tried to open the same document in my Excel 2007 Swedish and the headers and footers got messed up.
    Seems like the markup is language dependent. For example, &L (justify left) in the english version is actually the "active tab" in the Swedish version. And the swedish version of &N (number of pages) is actually the filename.

How can I solve this?

I could let the user choose what language version he is using or make multiple versions for available languages, but this does not seem lika a good solution.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 4:13 PM

All replies

• Have you tried changing the extension of the two files to ".zip" to verify differences in the actual markup tags?  What you describe sounds more like a difference in character tables which may be repairable by using a more extensive table that allows for consistency across languages, perhaps UTF-16.

Good coding involves knowing one's logical limits and expanding them as necessary.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 9:17 PM
  • Instead of changing the files to .zip to complete the comparison task, you should take advantage of the Open XML Diff tool that comes with the SDK.
    Zeyad Rajabi (MS)
    Monday, November 23, 2009 11:11 PM
  • Perhaps I posted in the wrong forum, because I just realized it is not Open XML SDK I'm using but rather the "Save as XML" in Excel 2003 which is not Open XML.

Brian: If I make a regular excel document with a simple header and footer including page number using the English version, and then make the same document using the Swedish version, it gets different markup.
    So; I have two excel documents, one in each program (english and swedish) and they are identical from within excel, but differs in header/footer markup since it appears to be internationalized. &L (left justification in english) is actually &V (vaensterjustering) in swedish. Both files use the same character table.

Found another unanswered thread which contains the same problem:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/oxmlsdk/thread/cc4501c5-b12e-4eec-bb99-c231011d9985/

Perhaps I will go for making a PDF file from my application directly...

Thanks for you patience.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:39 PM
  • OpenXML and Save as XML are very different.  This is the wrong forum.

Good coding involves knowing one's logical limits and expanding them as necessary.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:55 PM
  • Yeah, I did some reading on the subject and realized Open XML is not what I was looking for...
    Thank you all for your answers.

PS. Which forum is the right one? "Office File Formats Forum" perhaps?
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:09 PM
  • The closest one I know of is VSTO.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:13 PM