Azure Stack Deployment Issue - "On one-node setup, at least 3 disks are required. Actual number of available disks: 0" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

I am writing this on behalf of Peopletech Group, a gold partner of Microsoft. We are now delivering an Azure Stack solution to one of our customer. We have been working on this for last 2 weeks and not getting a solution of an error. Please help us.
    We have a server which fulfilling minimum requirements for Azure Stack. It is also passing us through the pre-checking process.

Issue:

On one-node setup, at least 3 disks are required. Actual number of available disks: 0

Let me explain the processes that we are able to do and where exactly we fall under the issue:

1. Downloading the deployment package and to get Cloudbuilder.vhdx.
    2. Prepare the cloudbuilder.vhdx to configure the computer (the development kit host) on which we want to install development kit. Here we are getting the host reboot.
    3. We start deployment process with “Azure Cloud” and a “DHCP” selection.

The process is successfully creating AzureStack.Local domain with a ADVM in Hyper-V.

After 1 hour of this execution, we are getting this issue.

On one-node setup, at least 3 disks are required. Actual number of available disks: 0

This is to inform you that we have 3 disks with more than 250 GB each. Still, we are getting this issue.
    I saw the above error when I sign in as AzureStack\AzureStackAdmin after the development kit host restarts during setup to monitor the deployment progress.
    I checked the Network Connections and I saw that there is no internet access for the azurestack.local Ethernet. Here is the Network Adapter screen.
    There is an which has a connection to Direct Internet and DHCP server. This helps us to RDP access to this server.

Thanks. Will appreciate your quick help on this.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 7:39 AM

Answers

• Hello Deepak,

It looks like their storage disks are already configured in a logical volume, are reserved, have existing extended volumes or not GPT formatted. (MBR).  This can happen when creates the logical volume/disk with the 3 storage disks before deploying the ASDK or the disk were already part of a existing protected storage pool.

NOTE: The ASDK installer can only delete protected storage spaces created by a previous or current ASDK deployment.  

To check if your disks are Reserved or Reporting 0 Bytes free, run the diskpart from an elevated PowerShell session.

PS C:\> DISKPART

DISKPART> LIST DISK

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt

--------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---

Disk 0    Online          465 GB      0 B

Disk 1    Online          465 GB      0 B

Disk 2    Online          465 GB      0 B

Disk 5    Online          465 GB      311 GB

Disk 6    Reserved     1254 GB      0 B        *

The following shows my disk6 is reserved and my Disks 0 – 2 are online but have 0 byte available.

DISKPART> SELCT DISK 6

Disk 6 is now the selected disk

DISKPART> CLEAN

This will remove the disk from the logic volume and delete all user data & configuration data.

After this, go to Disk Management initialize the disks and run Diskpart again. You should now have Disks that are not reserved, have all the free space and be available for the ASDK to use to create its CSV. S-Cluster when the deployment runs.

Let me know if this works.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your time and interest in Azure Stack.

If you experience any issues with Azure Stack or the current ASDK release, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks

Gary Gallanes

Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:35 PM

All replies

• Hello Deepak,

It looks like their storage disks are already configured in a logical volume, are reserved, have existing extended volumes or not GPT formatted. (MBR).  This can happen when creates the logical volume/disk with the 3 storage disks before deploying the ASDK or the disk were already part of a existing protected storage pool.

NOTE: The ASDK installer can only delete protected storage spaces created by a previous or current ASDK deployment.  

To check if your disks are Reserved or Reporting 0 Bytes free, run the diskpart from an elevated PowerShell session.

PS C:\> DISKPART

DISKPART> LIST DISK

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt

--------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---

Disk 0    Online          465 GB      0 B

Disk 1    Online          465 GB      0 B

Disk 2    Online          465 GB      0 B

Disk 5    Online          465 GB      311 GB

Disk 6    Reserved     1254 GB      0 B        *

The following shows my disk6 is reserved and my Disks 0 – 2 are online but have 0 byte available.

DISKPART> SELCT DISK 6

Disk 6 is now the selected disk

DISKPART> CLEAN

This will remove the disk from the logic volume and delete all user data & configuration data.

After this, go to Disk Management initialize the disks and run Diskpart again. You should now have Disks that are not reserved, have all the free space and be available for the ASDK to use to create its CSV. S-Cluster when the deployment runs.

Let me know if this works.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your time and interest in Azure Stack.

If you experience any issues with Azure Stack or the current ASDK release, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks

Gary Gallanes

Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:35 PM
  • Worked fine! thx!
    Tuesday, March 5, 2019 8:00 PM