none
BizTalk 2013 Clustering RRS feed

• Question

• Team,

Thanks for looking this thread..<o:p></o:p>

1. 2 BizTalk 2013 servers/windows 2012.. Node1 , Node2 and Cluster1<o:p></o:p>

2. Do we need to add Cluster1 under "Servers" in "BTS admin-->platform settings"?. If the answer is yes, how do we add ? ( from SQL table??)<o:p></o:p>

3. I can see only Cluster1 under "servers" in "BTS admin-->platform settings" ( This is current production for windows 2003/BizTalk 2006 )<o:p></o:p>

Thanks<o:p></o:p>

Cathi<o:p></o:p>

Thursday, January 7, 2016 6:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Cathi,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Simply configure host instances to cluster by following below steps. 

Procedures

To configure a BizTalk host as a cluster resource

1. In the BizTalk Server Administration console, click to expand BizTalk Server Administration, click to expand BizTalk Group [<servername>:<management database>], click to expand Platform Settings, and then click to expand Hosts. The list of hosts appears under the folder.

2. Right-click the host that you would like to cluster, and then select Cluster.

noteNote
      Ensure that you have created an instance of the host on all member nodes that are possible owners of a cluster group before adding the BizTalk host to that cluster group.

3. Select the cluster group that you would like to run the host in from the drop-down list of available cluster groups.

noteNote
      As soon as a host is clustered, it is brought online and will begin processing documents for any adapter handlers or orchestrations that are configured to run in the host.

How to Configure a BizTalk Host as a Cluster Resource

Please have a look into below article for some reference,

BizTalk 2013 Windows Cluster

Thanks,

If my reply is helpful please mark as Answer or vote as Helpful.

My blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, January 19, 2016 1:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, January 19, 2016 1:04 PM
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 6:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Cathi,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Simply configure host instances to cluster by following below steps. 

Procedures

To configure a BizTalk host as a cluster resource

1. In the BizTalk Server Administration console, click to expand BizTalk Server Administration, click to expand BizTalk Group [<servername>:<management database>], click to expand Platform Settings, and then click to expand Hosts. The list of hosts appears under the folder.

2. Right-click the host that you would like to cluster, and then select Cluster.

noteNote
      Ensure that you have created an instance of the host on all member nodes that are possible owners of a cluster group before adding the BizTalk host to that cluster group.

3. Select the cluster group that you would like to run the host in from the drop-down list of available cluster groups.

noteNote
      As soon as a host is clustered, it is brought online and will begin processing documents for any adapter handlers or orchestrations that are configured to run in the host.

How to Configure a BizTalk Host as a Cluster Resource

Please have a look into below article for some reference,

BizTalk 2013 Windows Cluster

Thanks,

If my reply is helpful please mark as Answer or vote as Helpful.

My blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, January 19, 2016 1:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, January 19, 2016 1:04 PM
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 6:55 PM
  • You don't have to, moreover, you can't - it simply doesn't make sense... 

You set up a cluster (make sure it's done right), then you install BizTalk on the nodes, then you have to create hosts and then you  have to create host instances on on each of your two nodes.

Then, you _only_ have to cluster  the hosts (right-click host name in the Admin Console and select "Cluster" in the menu) that have to be clustered - for example the ones which will host DB receives or FTPs.

If this is the first time you are setting up environment for high availability, I would recommend hiring someone who knows what he/she is doing for a few days/couple of week to help you with the process. Trust me, its worth the money you will pay. Setting up BizTalk for high availability in clustered environments is often mis-understood even by experienced developers if they had never been involved in supporting serious BizTalk implementation in production.

• Edited by fly2 Thursday, January 7, 2016 9:05 PM
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 6:59 PM
  • Hi Cathi,

When you have a BizTalk Cluster set up you only need to enable host clustering on the hosts you need to cluster (usually MSMQ, FTP, MLLP and POP3).

This is done by following the guide from Kamlesh. You don't need to update and databases at all, be aware that updating directly in the database may violate the service agreement.

Do you have any issues or problems with the setup you have now? Is that why you are raising the topic, if so please elaborate.

Best regards,

Tord G Nordahl

Friday, January 8, 2016 8:18 AM