none
Can't get Hyper-V to work - "video remoting was disconnected" RRS feed

• Question

• I'm totally new to Hyper-V. I've used VM's in the past but never Hyper-V. I googled free VM today and was psyched to find that Windows 10 already comes with Hyper-V. So I installed it and clicked on Quick-Create which seemed to download a copy of Windows 10 and then finished, but I can't connect to the VM. I created a new new virtual switch, set it to use External Network and then selected the wireless card on my laptop. It seems to start fine, but I can't connect to it. I get the message: Video Remoting was disconnected unexpectedly that flashes on the screen and then the window gets smaller and tries again in 20-30 seconds. This just repeats.

I googled the message and was surprised not to find anything good. Others must have experienced this...

Monday, September 23, 2019 4:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Ben

You've got into Hyper-V just when there may be a brief bug in the latest release. I've noticed it a lot lately too, but it stopped when I removed the old Direct X driver or whatever it was that is no longer supported. During my investigations, I also found that resetting my network drivers also helped. I posted the solution in the thread below.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/03b7fb5a-3769-4516-8c2f-463ee83e2192/hyperv-error-quotvideo-remoting-was-disconnectedquot?forum=win10itprovirt#34b7c837-e791-4050-8905-535372fd7fde

Good luck,
    Pete

#PEJL
    Got any nice code? If you invest time in coding an elegant, novel or impressive answer on MSDN forums, why not copy it over to TechNet Wiki, for future generations to benefit from! You'll never get archived again, and you could win weekly awards!

Have you got what it takes to become this month's TechNet Technical Guru? Join a long list of well known community big hitters, show your knowledge and prowess in your favoured technologies!

Monday, September 23, 2019 5:13 PM
  • By the way, another way to get in is to switch OFF "enhanced session". Other posts explain that it's a security thing, where the local account on the VM has to have a password.

Also, you can just hit cancel/escape when the settings window pops up, just before connecting.
    Then it connects in basic mode (fixed display size, no clipboard, etc).

At least you can log in that way.

You'll find many similar posts, if you use the search box above.

Regards,
    Pete

#PEJL
    Got any nice code? If you invest time in coding an elegant, novel or impressive answer on MSDN forums, why not copy it over to TechNet Wiki, for future generations to benefit from! You'll never get archived again, and you could win weekly awards!

Have you got what it takes to become this month's TechNet Technical Guru? Join a long list of well known community big hitters, show your knowledge and prowess in your favoured technologies!

Monday, September 23, 2019 5:23 PM
  • Hi Ben

I take it that helped and we can close this now?

Thanks,
    Pete

#PEJL

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 3:56 PM