none
Application Compatibility and the Windows Server 2008 Software Logo Program RRS feed

• Question

•  

Welcome to the technical forum for the Windows Server 2008 Software Logo Program and Application Compatibility!

I manage the Software Logo Program for the Windows Server and we've made great improvements to make certification more achieveable:

• Cost reduced by ~50%
    • Test duration reduced by ~50%
    • Free tools

We have two offerings - Works with Windows Server 2008 and Certified for Windows Server 2008.

"Works with" defines application compatibility on WS08 and includes an automated self-test of about 20 test cases that can be validated by third parities.

"Certified for" identifies applications that are ready for mission criticial environments and includes a wizard-based tool with about 100 test cases (superset of "Works with") that target best practices for Windows fundamentals, reliability, availability and security.

There's also a third tool "Windows System State Analyzer", which does an awesome job of displaying the delta in system state and can save developers a ton of time.

The great opportunity for developers is to use the free tools in your development and test process to more easily design apps to run better on Windows Server 2008.

The tools are designed for both commericial and custom "in-house" applications.

As Venkat mentioned, you can download the free tools and specs from http://www.innovateonwindowsserver.com

We're jazzed to build a developer community around our tools so we welome your feedback and participation.

Thanks.

- Steve Bell

Friday, September 14, 2007 5:57 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hello, Mr. Steve Bell.

I'm a Software Test Engineer. My company wants to sertify one of our product.

I want to ask you several questions about Windows Server 2008 Software Logo Program.

1. We want to certify a service. This service is a part of our system (system contains database, client part and additional services) and to perform a normal operations we need to install our system (to install it's necessary to have a computer with installed Microsoft SQL Server). Is it possible?

2. Some times ago we certified our product for Windows Vista. We received a document "Certified for Windows Vista Test Cases". This document contain a list of test cases with detailed description for each test case. And we can't find similar document for "Windows Server 2008 Software Logo Program". Document named "Windows Server (Longhorn) Logo Program" contains only essence of test cases and it doesn't contain details on how to perform these test cases. Tell me please is it possible to find and receive a document with details?

Thanks.

- Ivan Nasyrov

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 5:32 AM
  •  

Ivan,

I hope I'm not jumping the gun here. But the certification tool provides the information you're looking for.

Have a look at the second post in this thread for the link:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2217857&SiteID=1

Download the appropriate version for your test environment.

The application provides Test objectives and Test steps.

I hope this is what you're looking for.

Regards,

Chan

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 6:49 AM
  •  

Chan, thank you!

It is what i'm looking for.

Best regards,

Ivan

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 8:03 AM
  • Ivan - the test specs are incorporated in the certification tool, there are also separate test specs and framework documents. All of these resources (and more documents like the application compatibility cookbook that lists key areas to address developing apps for Windows Server 2008) are available at http://www.innovateonwindowsserver.com

To request to join the Early Access Program just select the Enroll button (available on October 11th) and complete the short form (about 7 questions). I'll be looking for your request and thanks for your interest in certification.

- Steve

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 4:02 PM
  •  

Hello!

I have some more questions.

1. It amazed me that following Windows Server 2008 Software Logo Program client components of our application we must install on Windows Vista Ultimate but not on Windows Server 2008. And it's necessary to pass all test-cases for succesfull certification (both on Windows Server 2008 and on Windows Vista Ultimate). If our application passes all test cases would we have a right to use "Certified for Windows Vista" logotype?

2. Our applications contains sever components in one msi-package, and client components in another. Oficially we have two different products (server part and client part with own "setup.exe"). Is it possible to test our application as indivisible application? Or may be we must unite all msi-packages into one product with common "setup.exe"?

Many thanks.

Ivan Nasyrov.

Friday, October 19, 2007 10:12 AM
  • Hello Ivan

Yes - Client components of your application can achieve the 'Certified For Windows Vista' logo by meeting all criteria laid out in the WS2008 Logo requirements. Typically client components are part of the server product and the main installer. In some cases there could be a stand alone installer, but on the same media licensed to Customers (or) as free download.

About #2 above, it seems your Client component is a seperate stand alone product by itself. Is that how it is marketed & licensed? We need more information about the client component.

Can you send as an email directly to wslogofb@microsoft.com by providing more details? Please include how the client components are licensed, and if Customers can only buy your client components without needing the Server component.

Thanks,

[Venkat] | Windows Server Logo

www.InnovateOnWindowsServer.com

Saturday, October 20, 2007 3:46 AM
  • Hello.

I have one more question - our product use another software (software of another manufacturer for transformation of documents) which is not setified for Windows Server 2008. Is it possible to use such software and try to certify our software? Or usable software must be certified too?

Thanks.

Monday, December 17, 2007 7:41 AM
  • Hello Ivan Nasyrov

As long as the 'another software' you mention does not cause system instabilities or insecurities your application can be submitted for Certification testing.

Let us know if you have questions.

If you haven't already, please be sure to register your application at https://microsoft.mrmpslc.com/InnovateOnWindowsServer/Secure/Default.aspx

For quick questions on policy/enrolling you may email to WSLogoEA@Microsoft.com

For technical questions you may continue posting on this forum or send your email to WSLogoFB@Microsoft.com

Thanks,

[Venkat] | Windows Server Software Logo

www.InnovateOnWindowsServer.com

Monday, December 17, 2007 9:38 AM