none
bing-maps.js switzerland RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I'm using BingMap in a LightSwitch WebApp and it runs for the US.

But should the Key in the official java script also work for the whole world?

It does not work for Switzerland with the following infos, city, state, postalcode

why does it not work for suisse?

thanks for your help

marcel

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 12:30 PM

Answers

• If that is the case then this is specific to LightSwitch as this doesn't happen with Bing maps itself. Note that the Bing Maps team creates a mapping API, others implement it. So the functionality in light switch was built and is maintained by that team.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

• Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Friday, July 15, 2016 3:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by marcel_W Monday, July 18, 2016 8:40 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2016 3:08 PM

All replies

• Bing maps keys work globally. The issue is likely in light switch or with your data. Can you provide the queries you are making. If you watch network traffic you may be able to see the request to the location service. Can tyou copy one of those as well.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 1:52 PM
  • Hi,

2 samples i'm using, the first works well and shows the place on the map.

1th OK = city: Honolulu, state: HI, PostalCode: 96801

2end NOT OK = city: Hinwil, state: ZH, PostalCode 8340

what is wrong with the second input?

thanks

marcel

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 8:08 PM
  • Using the Bing Maps REST services I'm able to find both locations with a result that is marked High confidence. Sounds like this is an issue in LightSwitch. It's very unlikely that LightSwitch will be updated seeing how support for it ends un January: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?sort=PN&alpha=Microsoft%20Visual%20Studio%20LightSwitch%202011&Filter=FilterNO Probably best not to use LightSwitch. PowerBI would likely be a much better choice.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 5:44 PM
  • HI, thanks for your support.

well, just another sad story about LS. i still hope microsoft will realise that they do not have a really front-end tool for there cash cow (SQL) and invest in LS again, but now with a prof. set-up and marketing. or they put it open souce.

and (sorry) but to me power apps is not to compare with LS it is not really a business tool.

thanks, marcel

• Marked as answer by marcel_W Thursday, July 14, 2016 6:22 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by marcel_W Friday, July 15, 2016 7:30 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 6:21 AM
  • Hi, I just found out that (for Switzerland) I have to insert a street name, and then it works.

this is not nessesery for the US. Is it possible to deactivate (as not essential) the street part in the script?

thanks for your help,

marcel

Friday, July 15, 2016 7:34 AM
  • If that is the case then this is specific to LightSwitch as this doesn't happen with Bing maps itself. Note that the Bing Maps team creates a mapping API, others implement it. So the functionality in light switch was built and is maintained by that team.

• Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Friday, July 15, 2016 3:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by marcel_W Monday, July 18, 2016 8:40 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2016 3:08 PM