Visual studio 2012 build process is stuck RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate Edition on Windows 8 Enterprise. Everything has been working smoothly, and all of a sudden I am facing a strange problem

None of my projects through Visual studio seem to build anymore. When I select Build solution, the build process starts but just locks up and stays in the "Build in progress" stage. Even if I create a new Visual Studio project (Metro App), Visual studio gets stuck on "Creating Project 'App1'" screen, and the output window just shows "Build started..."

I also have Visual Studio 2010 installed, but that works just fine and I am able to build my project.

I tried invoking the C# compiler in the command line, but that just locks up as well and doesn't show the help screen when invoked:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\csc.exe

(just hangs)

Also, if it helps, I am logging into my company domain and my user has full admin rights.

I am completely stuck on this, and any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Kunal

Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:18 PM

Answers

• I had to resort to a system restore which fixed the problem.
    • Marked as answer by Ego Jiang Monday, October 8, 2012 5:25 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 3:35 PM

All replies

• I had to resort to a system restore which fixed the problem.
    • Marked as answer by Ego Jiang Monday, October 8, 2012 5:25 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Hi Kmittal82,

I’m glad to hear that you got it working.

Thank you for sharing your solutions & experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, October 8, 2012 5:25 AM
  • My advise is to stop using Microsoft. It is truly a piece of junk compare to Linux and Mac. Compiling on Visual Studio is the most painful process ever.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:31 PM
  • Exactly the same problem on Visual 2012. Yesterday work perfectly .... this morning noting work !!

unable to rebuild whaterver the project i choose .... many projects .... all are down !

What are they doing in visual studio express .... is there any check on network .... that makes this wrong .... ? Licence check ??? but i have one ! so what

i am totally stuck ....

Friday, October 23, 2015 9:30 AM
  • Same issue here.

Visual studio 2012 get stuck during build. No error message nothing, just stuck.

Even worse, I cannot run some of the old .exe build with VS2012 that were working no problem a month ago (and still work on other computers).

I had installed 2015 Community, thought it was the problem, but uninstalled it did not fixe anything.

I tried everything: repair, uninstall and re-install VS2012 did not work.

Uninstall Framework and reinstall did not work.

And of course when installing Community 2015, the system restore point was not created properly (as it happens to a crazy amount of people, just do a google search).

I have been stuck for a week now and have to deliver software to customers....

My last option will be to format my PC. But it may be useless if the problem is due to some a microsoft a update.

F.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 8:32 AM
  • Hi Kmittal82,

I’m glad to hear that you got it working.

Can you please share what was done to resolve the issue.

I suddenly started experiencing the same problem - it was running fine all the time before.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Agni

Friday, August 14, 2020 5:57 PM