Identity server login is unresponsive - windows update problem? RRS feed

• Question

• I've come back off holiday and run some code which has worked perfectly for weeks but now hangs Excel

I've got a VSTO add in that requires Azure Active Directory authentication so I pop up the login on start up

However, now when it pops up the login screen, it's completely unresponsive to any mouse or button interaction

Literally the only thing that's changed since my holiday is a bunch of Windows updates

Really baffled - anyone heard anything similar?

Monday, October 23, 2017 4:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Journeyman,

I released your environment is Windows 10 and Office 2103, I have tried to create such a environment, but I fail to install the updates for Office.

For your issue, I suggest you contact IT to uninstall them to make a test.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

I was unable to do this because it's not exactly a work project

However, I am happy to report that as of today, the 'We have a new sign in experience' has become the default, so the problem has immediately gone away without me having to do anything

Clearly not a bug in anything i was doing tho for it to appear then disappear without any actions
    Friday, November 17, 2017 11:49 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Do you try to uninstall Windows updates? Would the issue be fixed? What is your Office build number and OS build number now?

To be honest, we are not familiar with Azure AD, we would appreciate if you could share detail steps or a sample project here to let us reproduce your issue.

Regards,

Celeste 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 2:33 AM
  • hi

It's a work PC so I can't roll back Windows updates. 

I've taken the code used to log in and moved it to another project and I get exactly the same result.

I wonder, could it possibly be something to do with needing to clear the browser cache in the window that pops up when using IdentityServer.ActiveDirectory?

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 10:50 AM
  • I think I've established it's a general browser issue - it's rendering the login.microsoftonline.com window via my app, and it takes up to two minutes before the cursor actually becomes available to the end user

Where would you recommend I report this?

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 1:25 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the information. As the issue is not related to Office or VSTO add-ins, I suggest you post on Azure Active Directory forum.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Journeyman-UK Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:04 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Journeyman-UK Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:11 AM
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 5:53 AM
  • I'm not entirely sure that's true. 

It isn't nearly as slow in a browser. It isn't nearly as slow when I run the same code on a Xamarin app.

It's only BECOME slow when using it in the context of a pop up window via a VSTO

Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:12 AM
  • You may create a winform application to test if the issue is related to Office. You could create a new VSTO project to test if the issue is related to other code.

If the issue only exists in VSTO project, you could also run the same project on different machines with different OS or Office versions. You could share a sample project or detail repro steps here, I could try to reproduce your issue on different environments. 

MSDN Community Support

• Edited by Chenchen Li Friday, October 27, 2017 7:24 AM
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:26 AM
  • Thanks for your help. I am using HttpClient, here is a code sample that uses Microsoft.IdentityModel.Clients.ActiveDirectory;

IntPtr hwnd = new IntPtr(); // handler for the window object we're going to display the login prompt at

authContext = new AuthenticationContext(authority);

PlatformParameters p = new PlatformParameters(PromptBehavior.Auto, hwnd);

AuthenticationResult result = null;

result = await authContext.AcquireTokenAsync(todoListResourceId, clientId, redirectURI, p);

Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:29 AM
  • Hello,

I think it is because Excel is blocked as Office is single thread. I suggest you try to create a new thread to display the login dialog

Task taskA = Task.Factory.StartNew(() => DoSomeWork(10000000));
                taskA.Wait();
                Console.WriteLine("taskA has completed."); 

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

Friday, October 27, 2017 7:47 AM
  • Tried this, unfortunately hasn't solved the issue
    Friday, November 3, 2017 3:38 PM
  • Hello,

Could you share detail repro steps and a sample project here?

According to your another thread, the code works fine in WinForm application, could you please share the winform application?

Please visit Share OneDrive files and folders to share the file and paste the link here.

Besides, please share us your Office build number, so that we could test if the issue is related to Office updates.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

Monday, November 6, 2017 9:04 AM
  • OK have done that, here is the link

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApRJqPv9lGvTgn3k6uPBtIMmLUTr

Monday, November 6, 2017 11:13 AM
  • Hi Journeyman,

Thanks for sharing the demo project.

After downloading and run it, it shows the Login page correctly, and it is responsive that I could enter my account and password.

Could you check the updates which are installed during your holiday? I will try to install them to make a test again.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:55 AM
  • Hi Journeyman,

Thanks for sharing the demo project.

After downloading and run it, it shows the Login page correctly, and it is responsive that I could enter my account and password.

Could you check the updates which are installed during your holiday? I will try to install them to make a test again.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 10:02 AM
  • Hi,

It takes time before I install these updates.

Could you make a test with this project in other computers?

Could it be reproduceable?

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 10:07 AM
  • Hi,

It takes time before I install these updates.

Could you make a test with this project in other computers?

Could it be reproduceable?

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support

Unfortunately not, I have a laptop which is on the same version of Office and exhibits the same issues
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 10:09 AM
  • Could you uninstall the updates on this laptop?

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:31 PM
  • Could you uninstall the updates on this laptop?

MSDN Community Support

I'm afraid not, it's also a work laptop, and at home I have a Mac
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 2:01 PM
  • Hi Journeyman,

I released your environment is Windows 10 and Office 2103, I have tried to create such a environment, but I fail to install the updates for Office.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 2:16 AM
  • Hi Journeyman,

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support

I was unable to do this because it's not exactly a work project

However, I am happy to report that as of today, the 'We have a new sign in experience' has become the default, so the problem has immediately gone away without me having to do anything

Clearly not a bug in anything i was doing tho for it to appear then disappear without any actions
    Friday, November 17, 2017 11:49 AM
  • Hi Journeyman,

It's great that the issue has gone, I would suggest you mark your reply as answer to close current thread.

Regards,

Tony

Help each other

Monday, November 20, 2017 8:11 AM