Windows Phone 8 and Windows Store App communication thru Bluetooth RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for a way to communicate between Windows Phone app and Windows Store app using Bluetooth. and also samples on how to use the Phone Book Access Profile Thanks!!
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:29 AM

Answers

• I just now heard back from dev:  the above information is correct and this is by-design.  The Call Control sample is the only Bluetooth API available.  If a device manufacturer needs to use Bluetooth as part of their device, they can provide a driver and metadata for a Store app to use it.  Information here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh464909.aspx

I hope this fully answers the question.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 8:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Jim,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:32 AM
  • Hi Jim - I'm looking into this, but it will likely be after the holiday that I get an answer for you.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 10:45 PM
  • Jim - I am talking with our Bluetooth development team, but I am feeling that there's not much that can be done here.  Just about the only working Bluetooth code I can find is the Bluetooth Call Control sample (http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Call-Control-b52ad696) which does not appear to be a generalized Bluetooth stack. 

Looking at this page:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh464945.aspx shows this information:

Devices

A subset of the device APIs is supported in a Windows Store app. For more info, see Win32 and COM for Windows Store apps (devices).

Here's some alternatives to device APIs that can't be used in a Windows Store app.

Feature Alternative
    Bluetooth Windows.Networking.Proximity

I initially interpreted this to mean that Bluetooth is possible via the proximity API, but after more investigation, realized that a general Bluetooth API simply isn't available.   The C++ desktop Bluetooth APIs aren't available, nor are the desktop socket functions that can also be used for Bluetooth: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa362941(v=vs.85).aspx

I am waiting to hear back from the Bluetooth dev team, but I want to set your expectations now that this might be impossible.  I am hopeful that I am wrong.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 8:27 PM
  • I just now heard back from dev:  the above information is correct and this is by-design.  The Call Control sample is the only Bluetooth API available.  If a device manufacturer needs to use Bluetooth as part of their device, they can provide a driver and metadata for a Store app to use it.  Information here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh464909.aspx

I hope this fully answers the question.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 8:44 PM
  • So. the only way to make a Windows Phone and Windows 8 to communicate is using a desktop application? Did i get it right? 
    Friday, January 4, 2013 4:24 AM
  • Other than the Call Control sample, yes.

• Proposed as answer by nishantapps Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:32 AM
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 6:26 PM
  • if any solution u have get regarding printing over SPP bluetooth device.Please suggest
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:34 AM