none
is Visual Basic.NET going away? RRS feed

• Question

• I know this question has being asked over and over again through the time. But please someone give some clear light.

Recent post from microsoft  https://devblogs.microsoft.com/vbteam/visual-basic-support-planned-for-net-5-0/

in addition to the post that is talking about vb.net support in .net core 5 , it also mention that

"we do not plan to evolve Visual Basic as a language"

and

“Future features of .NET Core that require language changes may not be supported in Visual Basic”

Is not clear if this statement is a turn to abandon vb.net and it's future

As a developer for 15 years now in VB.NET i would like to know if i should start worry and start making a turn to C# .

stelios ----------

• Edited by stelios84 Tuesday, March 17, 2020 10:21 AM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2020 9:27 AM

All replies

• The link is talking about VB and .NET Core,  and VB may not be a robust in its features in using .NET Core framework. VB may not be carried forward in future releases of the .NET Core framework. 

On the other hand,  the link talks about non Core framework and VB, and VB is not going away with business as usual.

However, the .NET framework may not keep pace with new features implanted in .NET Core.

C# is an ISO and ECMA standard. VB is not. 

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 10:10 AM
  • As a developer for 15 years now in VB.NET i would like to know if i should start worry and start making a turn to C# .

stelios ----------

Yeah. It will still be around for a while.

Do you have something else to do besides learn something new?

I have been answering c# questions lately to start learning it. It is not that hard to convert from vb. But vb.net is much easier syntax. I mean whats with all athe {}{??? And case sensitive?

To me the question is more like can I still sell my software for the PC? And windows forms?

And how can I make something for phones?

Is that what you mean?

:)

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 10:15 AM
  • DA924x thanks for the reply, but is little confused.

when you say VB you mean Visual Basic? or Visual Basic.Net?
    My worries is if Visual Basic.Net is slowly going away.?

sorry if title is wrong i will correct it.

stelios ----------

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 10:20 AM
  • tommy, actually yes,

Im developing software for desktop, xamarin forms, doing some rest api, wcf etc..
    all this under Visual Basic.Net 
    I have code some in C# but not very much.

I'm worry if i should start feel worry about the death of Visual Basic.NET and start coding full time in c# 

stelios ----------

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 10:24 AM
  • Hello,

I work with the Microsoft program manager and senior Microsoft docs team on VB.NET and from that can say the following.

If you don't plan on use Blazer, ASP.NET Razer pages, build mobile software solutions and careless about new features that C# gets than you are safe with VB.NET.  But in many cases customers today are requesting in general for C# over VB.NET for many reasons that start with, what happens if the VB.NET developer goes away who wrote the code? They will be hard pressed to find another VB.NET developer today. Another gauge is the yearly survey from StackOverflow, see the following section to what languages are being used. 

On the other hand you should consider learning C#. Start off simple, take parts of current solutions e.g. class projects and rewrite them in C# (use a language converter to assist in the beginner but more is learned by typing). Replace the VB.NET class projects with the C# class projects and call them as if they were VB.NET.

Anyone entering into the world of software development today, will use JavaScript + HTML/CSS + SQL (in one form or another) coupled with Python, Java or C#, VB.NET is not in the picture.

My personal opinion is recommend keeping your options open and not simply rely on VB.NET which means don't drop VB.NET unless there is a solid reason for it.

In closing don't expect very much from Microsoft in new features. I write at least one (and many times more) VB.NET article/code samples once a month for Microsoft TechNet to assist VB.NET developers where in many cases the code will be in the style of C# which hopely assist developers with an interest in learning C# in a better position when they do. Here is my current work in progress.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 10:27 AM
  • tommy, actually yes,

Im developing software for desktop, xamarin forms, doing some rest api, wcf etc..
    all this under Visual Basic.Net 
    I have code some in C# but not very much.

I'm worry if i should start feel worry about the death of Visual Basic.NET and start coding full time in c# 

stelios ----------

I have been worried about the death of vb since the death of qb and DOS.

I had to totally learn and rewrite for vb.net. Best thing I ever did for my software.

My vb6? program from late 90s? Still runs on win10, be it I know how to do it.

So the PC will run vb.net apps for a long while I am sure.

But the game is update yourself and your software if you dont the competition and market will. Get used to it. Like most things Programming is more than just writing code.

PS How long do you plan on working?

And eventually most end up in management or the boss and don't do the normal work anymore they have helpers for that? So a lot depends on your preference? What do you WANT to do?

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 10:36 AM

stelios ----------

You're in the VB.NET forum, right? Why would VB mean anything else in the VB.NET forum, but VB.NET?

VB.NET is proprietary to MS,  and it makes the decisions about VB.NET. VB.NET may very well get left behind in Core to some degree. 

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 10:40 AM

stelios ----------

The last version of VB.Net was VB.Net 2003 a commercial name for VB7.1 after that the name ,Net has been removed from VB, and that is since VB2005.

The name is still used for every other version after VB6 because it was not anymore using Com but from that moment .Net Api's and currently .Net core Api's.

A little bit likewise Americans tell they are speaking English, while many Americans don't know that English is the language which evolved in England from a mixture of Gallic, Angliss, Sanxian after that Willem the Conqueror did invade it who spoke then already French, so literally meaning the language of England.

Nevertheless do Americans always talk about real English as UK English.

Coming back on your original question. No the article stipulates that it will stay active but only focused on PC desktop/laptop. 

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 11:55 AM
  • You're in the VB.NET forum, right? Why would VB mean anything else in the VB.NET forum, but VB.NET?

The announcement is not in the forum. The question is about what language is meant by Visual Basic. I have never seen VB.Net being called simply Visual Basic. I think it is time to drop the .Net but in this context Visual Basic is ambiguous. Evidently they do mean VB.Net but it just is not clear and therefore the question asking what is meant seems totally relevant.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 8:53 PM
  • What specifically do you think means that VB.Net is going away? It says that the language will not evolve but I see nothing saying that VB.Net will go away. I see nothing saying that anything working now will not work in the future. The article is about Visual Basic on .NET Core. It is saying that the VB language will not be modified to support .Net Core.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 9:05 PM
  • You're in the VB.NET forum, right? Why would VB mean anything else in the VB.NET forum, but VB.NET?

VB.NET is proprietary to MS,  and it makes the decisions about VB.NET. VB.NET may very well get left behind in Core to some degree. 

VB means Visual Basic which is a syntax for programming, ie a programming language.  As of 2020 VB is still used in tandem with S (VBS) in Windows Scripting Host and with A (VBA) in a host of application-embedded scripting platforms including everything in the MS Office Suite.  VB.NET just means "VB in the DotNET Framework."  It's 1 language/syntax overlaid on a great number of platforms.

I have been worried about the death of vb since the death of qb and DOS.

I was going to bring this up and I'm glad somebody here did.  When DotNET first came out it went hand-in-hand with MS abandoning support and future updates for the VB6 Runtime, which was needed to run applications written in VB for around 10 years at that point.  Tying VB support into DotNET was nothing but an afterthought by a company which (at that time) was smart enough not to alienate the people who make a living using, extending, and otherwise improving their products but not necessarily working for Microsoft Corporation.

So for a couple of Windows versions now MS is pushing for a move from VBS and WSH to PowerShell.  In 2020 there are things you used to be able to do with VBS on WSH that you can no longer do unless you do it in PowerShell.  This is really pretty witless and shows how far MS is going down the toilet in terms of the Eric Cartmanish "RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH" versus the professional development of commercial interests. 

Not only is the PowerShell language pretty randomly cobbled together but the runtime isn't particularly useful either.  It's a halfwitted misconception of a scripting language apparently invented by a moron who never actually had to work in a scripting language but thought he was qualified to invent one anyway.  Take the following example, which is absolutely necessary in a Windows 10 system because MS long ago broke the streaming media server and the wifi interfaces. 

$fixwifi = "set-netconnectionprofile -InterfaceAlias Wi-Fi -NetworkCategory Private"

Start-Process -FilePath powershell.exe -ArgumentList $fixwifi -verb RunAs

As of 2020 running this script may be necessary either because the streaming media server went randomly offline (ie the service stopped itself) or because the wifi interface just randomly disconnected from its fully functional network.  At the point of trying to bring the service back up or reconnect the wifi device to the network, you MUST run this script before any actual connections to/from networked devices will be re-established.  This can only be done from PowerShell and at that point it can only be done in Administrator or elevated mode.  You can't actually launch a PowerShell script As Administrator so you have to actually run a script instance from inside the script itself to get elevation. 

BEFORE THIS SCRIPT WILL WORK IN WINDOWS 10 you have to figure out why this script won't work in Windows 10.  I'll give you a hint:  It's maybe one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of! it isn't documented officially! and it used to be doable from the command line, a batch script or a VBS using a single command!

So yeah:  Microsoft is trying hard to retire VB*.  They aren't doing it well and they aren't giving Windows developers or sysadmins any replacement options that are actually worth learning, or using once learned.

Before you can learn anything new you have to learn that there's stuff you don't know.

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 11:53 PM
  • Hi stelios84,

Thank you for posting here.

Based on my research, VB.NET provide continutity for the original Visual Basic, and one of the major benefits of using Visual Basic is that the language has been stable for a very long time. The significant number of programmers using Visual Basic demonstrates that its stability and descriptive style is valued.

C# is what developers are backing these days, with VB language improvements coming only if they make sense.
    With regard to the cloud and mobile, development beyond Visual Studio on Windows and for non-Windows platforms, and bleeding edge technologies which C# is in the lead. This is because the audience in those spaces is demanding it. 
    The focus for VB will be where VB is already or likely to be successful, i.e. primarily on Microsoft technologies and for Windows with an emphasis on bringing modern capabilities to existing solutions, developers, enterprises, and scenarios.

Hope it could be helpful.

Besides, if your question has been answered then please click the "Mark as Answer" Link at the bottom of the correct post(s), so that it will help other members to find the solution quickly if they face a similar issue.

Thanks everyone for your enthusiastic and friendly assistance.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 1:53 AM
  • I have been answering c# questions lately to start learning it. It is not that hard to convert from vb. But vb.net is much easier syntax. I mean whats with all athe {}{??? And case sensitive?

You should try COBOL. Seriously. It has a reputation for not being clunky (wordy), the opposite of cryptic (as in C, C++ and C#; what you are complaining about here).

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 1:58 AM
  • C# (like PHP, ECMA aka Javascript, and a host of others) is C-like.

Ecma is an organization of standards committees; I do not know how many standards, probably at least 300. ECMAScript is Standard ECMA-262. So it might be confusing to call ECMAScript ECMA.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 6:47 AM
  • I have been answering c# questions lately to start learning it. It is not that hard to convert from vb. But vb.net is much easier syntax. I mean whats with all athe {}{??? And case sensitive?

It is what it is, and either they deal with it or they don't. I came from a COBOL went to VB and now C# using C# for many years. The {} are just there and C# is case sensitive, they must be used and they are not that big of a deal once one gets use to them.  

• Edited by DA924x Wednesday, March 18, 2020 1:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2020 12:49 PM

It is what it is, and either they deal with it or they don't. I came from a COBOL went to VB and now C# using C# for many years. The {} are just there and C# is case sensitive, they must be used and they are not that big of a deal once gets use to them.  

LOL. Yes the {} are there deal with it.

I do. I used vb most of my life as a programmer. It somehow knows where the end of a statement is without {} and it corrects the case for me I dont bother with it.

Much easier and better than c#. I am done. You are still working.

Yes, I learned in the 60s unix heads need to be leave {} everywhere to feel superior to those that dont need it. Just the way it is.

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 1:04 PM

• I do. I used vb most of my life as a programmer. It somehow knows where the end of a statement is without {} and it corrects the case for me I dont bother with it.

Much easier and better than c#. I am done. You are still working.

Yes, I learned in the 60s unix heads need to be leave {} everywhere to feel superior to those that dont need it. Just the way it is.

Tommy,

I address this to you but probably are you yourself aware or the facts I write already long ago. 

I'm originally after the cable time an assembler programmer. 

However, my first real symbolic program language was Cobol. It was fine but there was a little problem. Forgetting to set a dot gave complete wrong results. That was solved in newer program languages by changing the dot in another character. But all of those were done for the Teletext keyboard. It are ascii keyboard oriented program languages. 

VB came latter than that. It was meant for programming with computers (visual), so auto adding of code could be used very quick. (not basic, I mean VB.)

Another benefit in VB over the {} is that nesting is much easier. Where C++ and C# gives quick problems if yo are putting more sentences not only If Else in a method. It goes quick wrong because it is not readable anymore. 

C languages have only {} for what is in VB Case, If, the methods, the program, the class and probably I even forget some. 

You see typical C programmers already quick tell that it is good practise to nest the {} not to deep. In VB that is no problem because it stays very deep good readable. s

By the way, I've made very much C# programs. :-)

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 2:31 PM
  • Participants in and followers of this thread might find this blog interesting.

A Primer on Why the Chronic Suffering of the VB.NET Community 
    is neither Necessary nor a Matter of Expense or Practicality
    Posted on 15 Mar 2020
    by Anthony D. Green

https://anthonydgreen.net/2020/03/15/a-primer-on-why-the-chronic-suffering-of-the-vb-net-community-is-neither-necessary-nor-a-matter-of-expense-or-practicality/

- Wayne

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 2:35 PM
  • Much easier and better than c#. I am done. You are still working.

You  wrong I am retired, but still looking for remote work. I started programming professionally in the 1980 starting with COBOL on the IBM mainframe,  and I used 360/370 Assembler language on the mainframe.

I had a couple of Apple contracts but can't even remember what language I was using on Apple in the 1980(s).  I came to the PC world using Windows and Micro Focus COBOL in the 1990(s)  and started using VB3 going all the way to VB6 as the company moved to each version, but also used QuickBasic before that on the Oasis O/S.

I started using C# in 2002 or 2003 can't remember,  becuase of .NET mandate by the company I worked for at the time, and the {} and case sensitivity were a problem for a day in training classes. And I have gone back and forth between VB.NET and C# as a contractor every since. 

Either one knows when to hold them or fold them. Either one knows how to adapt or they don't. Either one knows how to change gears or they don't, and I don't toss out what language I love, becuase I loved them all and loving the fact that they all put money in my pockets. :)

To be honest, the fun is in Web base solution such a ASP.NET MVC Razor pages. ASP.NET MVC and ASP.NET MVC WebAPI using the non Core and Core frameworks. I am taking Pluralsight training classes and doing all of this to keep my mind sharp and have some fun, and sharing the knowledge I have learned over the years with others in various forums I visit. 

It's nothing new about the same old song and dance in the MSDN VB.NET forum about VB.NET. Is it going to die? Please, please don't let VB die. I don't know what I'll do. Jesus Christ -- yawn. :)

• Edited by DA924x Wednesday, March 18, 2020 2:55 PM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2020 2:49 PM
  • DArnold,

Yeah. Note I was the first above to tell op suck it up and learn it?

Plus just so there is no misunderstanding, I mean given all other things equal we sit down to program I use vb you use c# I am done and making my answer rotate in 3d while you are still working counting brackets and looking up spelling.

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 5:25 PM
  • DArnold,

Plus just so there is no misunderstanding, I mean given all other things equal we sit down to program I use vb you use c# I am done and making my answer rotate in 3d while you are still working counting brackets and looking up spelling.

Are you talking out the side of your head now?  Looking up spelling? What in the hell are you talking about? You do know about VS plugins like Resharper ( I have been using since 2005 and don't program without it),  Roslyn (free) and others that work in real-time that allows one to see what is happening in real time as he or she is coding, right? 

One should know about  the structure guidelines that even work for VB in VS,  and they even  work in looking at JavaScript code or HTML tags in Visual Stuido. And the guidelines can be set to various colors so that they standout based on foreground and background colors of the VS coding screen.  

https://dailydotnettips.com/turning-onoff-structure-guide-lines-in-visual-studio-2017/

If there is some spelling look up or bracket counting being done, it's an operator/developer issue. Huh? :)

• Edited by DA924x Wednesday, March 18, 2020 8:44 PM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2020 8:22 PM
  • DArnold,

Are you talking out the side of your head now?  Looking up spelling? What in the hell are you talking about? You do know about VS plugins like Resharper ( I have been using since 2005 and don't program without it),  Roslyn (free) and others that work in real-time that allows one to see what is happening in real time as he or she is coding, right? 

One should know about  the structure guidelines that even work for VB in VS,  and they even  work in looking at JavaScript code or HTML tags in Visual Stuido. And the guidelines can be set to various colors so that they standout based on foreground and background colors of the VS coding screen.  

https://dailydotnettips.com/turning-onoff-structure-guide-lines-in-visual-studio-2017/

If there is some spelling look up or bracket counting being done, it's an operator/developer issue. Huh? :)

Thursday, March 19, 2020 11:46 AM
  • @tommytwotrain

You gone troll, huh? You got that virus and can't leave the house, and you have gone crazy?  This is how you whine across forums? :)

You know that virus is not going away, like VB, right? :)

Abuse this tommytwotrain, get the hell away from the mouse if this is all that you have left is your copy/paste BS. :)

• Edited by DA924x Thursday, March 19, 2020 12:37 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2020 12:29 PM
  • @tommytwotrain

You gone troll, huh? You got that virus and can't leave the house, and you have gone crazy?  This is how you whine across forums? :)

Abuse this tommytwotrain, get the hell away from the mouse if this is all that you have left is your copy/paste BS. :)

See here too.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/f7d148ae-90a7-4990-954c-80d5e2400e04/what-makes-c-better-than-vb?forum=csharpgeneral

Thursday, March 19, 2020 12:38 PM
  • @tommytwotrain

Thursday, March 19, 2020 12:39 PM
  • @tommytwotrain

See here too.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/f7d148ae-90a7-4990-954c-80d5e2400e04/what-makes-c-better-than-vb?forum=csharpgeneral

Just what do you think is going to happen @tommyboy? I'll kick your mama in her chuci chuci and talk about her like a dog, if given a chance.   Abuse this tommyboy… :)
    Thursday, March 19, 2020 12:51 PM

• https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/f7d148ae-90a7-4990-954c-80d5e2400e04/what-makes-c-better-than-vb?forum=csharpgeneral

In fact this thread is funny. Let us talk about another language.

is English going away?

And then the same facts as in this and the other thread. There are no major new additions to English anymore. And then that Chinese is a more symbolic language and therefore more sophisticated. 

Those who cannot write English will probably tell that English is an old fashioned language. 

But easier, that what we always read about Visual Basic. 

Success
    Cor

Thursday, March 19, 2020 1:14 PM
  • Seems recent replies have gone way off topic, can we please stop wars between users and get back on topic or not reply?

I'm not going to clear any abuse as I know from experience this will not accomplish anything and locking this thread will not be taken well.

Let's get back on track please.  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

StackOverFlow

Thursday, March 19, 2020 1:19 PM
  • Ditto Karen but you know me Karen. If someone starts messing with me and chasing me across forums like a clown,  my buckshot doesn't discriminate. :)

I was no more paying attention to him until he started chasing me with his nose wide-open. :)

• Edited by DA924x Thursday, March 19, 2020 1:35 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2020 1:34 PM
  • Ditto Karen but you know me Karen. If someone starts messing with me and chasing me across forums like a clown,  my buckshot doesn't discriminate. :)

I was no more paying attention to him until he started chasing me with his nose wide-open. :)

ROTFL, understood. I'm simply looking out for the OP regardless of the topic.

StackOverFlow

Thursday, March 19, 2020 2:35 PM

StackOverFlow

Karen,

So you agree and laugh at DA's behavior?

Thursday, March 19, 2020 3:02 PM

StackOverFlow

Karen,

Not agreeing, simply recognizing his behavior. 

No matter who's behavior is not deemed appropriate in this thread or any other thread there is really nothing I can do other than ask to get back on topic.

StackOverFlow

Thursday, March 19, 2020 3:24 PM

StackOverFlow

Karen,

No matter who's behavior is not deemed appropriate in this thread or any other thread there is really nothing I can do other than ask to get back on topic.

StackOverFlow

"Neither C# or VB are low level languages either.  So in 2020 this Ali_P guy necromanced a thread from 2006 just to tell the world he knows jack and shit about jack and shit and jack left town.  How the actual fuck did this turn into a flamewar between tommytwotrain and DA924x spanning multiple forums and threads?  I would really love to know how this Ali_P guy came up with the oldest X vs Y thread on MSDN when there have been several per year.

Tell that to that cockroach tommytwotrain that rolled out from under the woodwork. I was minding my own business when tommytwotoothpics went off the deep-end. "

Karen,

This is what you get if you don't disapprove of bullying and abuse.

I am not going to put up with it.

Adios.

Thursday, March 19, 2020 8:26 PM

StackOverFlow

Karen,

StackOverFlow

"Neither C# or VB are low level languages either.  So in 2020 this Ali_P guy necromanced a thread from 2006 just to tell the world he knows jack and shit about jack and shit and jack left town.  How the actual fuck did this turn into a flamewar between tommytwotrain and DA924x spanning multiple forums and threads?  I would really love to know how this Ali_P guy came up with the oldest X vs Y thread on MSDN when there have been several per year.

Tell that to that cockroach tommytwotrain that rolled out from under the woodwork. I was minding my own business when tommytwotoothpics went off the deep-end. "

Karen,

This is what you get if you don't disapprove of bullying and abuse.

I am not going to put up with it.

Adios.

LOL! I shot an arrow into the sky to see who would fallout. My oh my it was that cockroach. :) 

You clown you wish you were The Lone Ranger, huh? 

Thursday, March 19, 2020 8:45 PM
  • We are done here with this thread as it's gone way South.

StackOverFlow

Thursday, March 19, 2020 9:12 PM