none
Deploying driver to a vmware virtual machine. RRS feed

• Question

• Iam trying to deploy a KMDF sample to a virtual machine using VS 2012. I followed the instructions in the msdn page for deploying drivers to virtual machine.

A named pipe was created in virtual machine settings. I added the host pc's name in Driver->Test->Configure properties and Project Properties>Driver Install->Deployment. 

I am not able to connect after pressing 'F5' at the host computer. I get these messages. 

1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V110\Platforms\Win32\ImportAfter\DriverDeployment8.0.targets(69,9): error : Kernel mode drivers cannot be deployed to the local machine
    1>  [19:08:24:685]: Computer "excray" is not configured properly for driver testing
    1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V110\Platforms\Win32\ImportAfter\DriverDeployment8.0.targets(69,9): error : Could not connect to the remote computer for deployment.
    1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V110\Platforms\Win32\ImportAfter\DriverDeployment8.0.targets(69,9): error : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

One problem I could I see is that my host pc is on my company's domain and the virtual machine is on a workgroup that was created by default. Please let me know how to fix this issue. 

Also should I add the virtual machine name or the host pc name at Driver->Test->Configure properties and Project Properties>Driver Install->Deployment.  I have added the host pc name.

• Edited by gvivekcbe Thursday, February 12, 2015 3:12 AM
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 2:50 AM

Answers

• Okay, got it. I think automatic deployment doesnt work when VM is the target. 
    • Marked as answer by gvivekcbe Thursday, February 12, 2015 3:32 AM
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 3:32 AM

All replies