Attach SQL 2008 database to SQL Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to attach SQL 2008 database to SQL Server 2016 ?
    Thursday, June 18, 2020 7:22 AM

Answers

• Hi Sakurai,

The .mdf and .ldf file of SQL server 2008  can be attached to SQL server 2016 and the DB is available to use in 2016.

But before that I would suggest you use Data Migration Assistant to analyses your databases first to avoid potential issue. Also, I would suggest you review BOL  for a list of deprecated database engine features.

Please refer below link for more details from below:

SQL server migration from 2008 R2 to 2016

After all, doing backup and restore is the best way.

Best regards,

Melissa

-------------------------------------------

MSDN Community Support

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, June 19, 2020 2:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Sakurai,

yes - this is possible. But WHY not a "Backup" -> "Restore"

Uwe Ricken (Blog | Twitter)
    Microsoft Certiifed Master - SQL Server 2008
    Microsoft Certified Solution Master - CHARTER Data Platform
    Microsoft Certified Solution Expert - Data Platform
    db Berater GmbH
    Microsoft SQL Server Blog (german only)

Thursday, June 18, 2020 8:00 AM
  • Hi Sakurai,

The .mdf and .ldf file of SQL server 2008  can be attached to SQL server 2016 and the DB is available to use in 2016.

But before that I would suggest you use Data Migration Assistant to analyses your databases first to avoid potential issue. Also, I would suggest you review BOL  for a list of deprecated database engine features.

Please refer below link for more details from below:

SQL server migration from 2008 R2 to 2016

After all, doing backup and restore is the best way.

Best regards,

Melissa

-------------------------------------------

MSDN Community Support

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, June 19, 2020 2:26 AM
  • you can take backup and restore in mssql 2016. taking backup and restore is safe way.

you can attach can be possible but while you have to make database offline copy mdf and ldf files to destination server.

make sure that how mdf and ldf files are present for database.

sp_helpdb dbname

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/37872.sql-server-installation-on-centos-linux.aspx

Friday, June 19, 2020 4:13 AM