Azure SQL location not changed after Move RRS feed

• Question

• I originally created a single Azure SQL server and database in the South Central US region but now I need to move the server and database to East US 2. To do this, I created a new Resource Group in the East US 2 region and performed a Move operation on the server and database via the Azure portal. After this was completed, the SQL Server and database remained in the South Central US location even though they belong in the new East US 2 region per the screenshot. 

How can I move my SQL server and database from South Central US to East US 2?

Sunday, November 13, 2016 2:37 AM

Answers

• Looking at the image I could see the server moved to East US where as the database is in still in South Central. I'm not sure whether you can move the standalone db to a new resource group.

I would suggest to do the below steps.

• Move the server back to South Central
    • Create New SQL Server and resource group in East US
    • Geo replicate the db from South Central to East US
    • Copy over all the firwall and logins (if any)
    • Once the sync is over initiate a failover so that East US will be primary and South Central will be secondary
    • If you are happy with the change then drop geo replication

Mark as ANSWER if I helped you today :-) www.sql-articles.com

• Proposed as answer by Dan Rediske Friday, November 18, 2016 7:41 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by hbcondo Thursday, February 23, 2017 1:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by hbcondo Sunday, March 19, 2017 4:25 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2016 12:24 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please try the Copy Database functionality instead:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/sql-database-copy-portal/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Sunday, November 13, 2016 6:25 PM
  • Hi, Alberto. Thank you for the reply. I was hoping to avoid a copy because that would mean I would need to incur the cost of two databases until my dev team can make connection string changes to the new server which is why I was hoping to perform a Move instead of a Copy.
    Sunday, November 13, 2016 9:11 PM
  • Looking at the image I could see the server moved to East US where as the database is in still in South Central. I'm not sure whether you can move the standalone db to a new resource group.

I would suggest to do the below steps.

• Move the server back to South Central
    • Create New SQL Server and resource group in East US
    • Geo replicate the db from South Central to East US
    • Copy over all the firwall and logins (if any)
    • Once the sync is over initiate a failover so that East US will be primary and South Central will be secondary
    • If you are happy with the change then drop geo replication

Mark as ANSWER if I helped you today :-) www.sql-articles.com

• Proposed as answer by Dan Rediske Friday, November 18, 2016 7:41 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by hbcondo Thursday, February 23, 2017 1:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by hbcondo Sunday, March 19, 2017 4:25 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2016 12:24 PM
  • Thank you for listing out these steps. I actually forgot to mention in my original post that the destination sql server / database resides in a different Azure subscription / account. Is there another way to easily copy / move a sql server database from one azure subscription to another?
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 1:41 AM
  • Hello,

Please try the following resource:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wayneb/2016/08/11/moving-windows-azure-database-servers-between-subscriptions/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:59 AM
  • Hi, Alberto. Thank you for your quick reply. I found the 'Change Subscription' link as shown in the msdn blog link you provided but for some reason the subscription I want to move my sql database to is not an option in the select list. Do you by chance know why this is? I'm sure it's not specific to sql but rather needing to establishing a relationship between my various azure subscriptions.

Edit: The 'Change Subscription' link only appears in the classic portal for me.

• Edited by hbcondo Thursday, February 23, 2017 4:46 AM added info
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 4:40 AM
  • Hello,

Please create a support ticket because they can help you manage your subscriptions. On the new portal, make a click on “Help + Support” on the Azure Dashboard, then click on “New support request”.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, February 23, 2017 1:34 PM