none
The WindowsCE OS splash screen no longer displays at boot RRS feed

• Question

• I am using WEC7 and originally when windows boots it displays the standard Windows Embedded Compact 7 splash screeb image, then goes to desktop. For some reason it no longer displays. I dont remember changing anything in the OSDesign to have affected this.

The file WindowsCE.png appears on the device in the Windows folder, so it is being built into the OS, this file is located on my PC in C:\WINCE700\public\shell\oak\files.

Does anyone have an idea why windows in no longer displaying this image at boot?

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:28 AM

All replies

• Your boot splash image will be displayed by the Bootloader of your device.The image file which you mentioned is displayed in the Desktop screen of the  booted device.

So check your bootloader to see how it displays the Boot screen.Share us about your platform so that we would be able to tell where to look for boot splash screen.

Please mark it as answer or vote as helpful if my reply helps.

Regards,

Prabu[eMVP]

http://prabukumar.wordpress.com

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:17 PM
  • Many thanks for your reply, i obviously did not make it clear, it has nothing to do with the bootloader, i am referring
    to the WindowsCE splash screen which is displayed momentarily before the desktop shows. So again,

The file WindowsCE.png appears on the device in the Windows folder, so it is being built into the OS, this file is located on my PC in C:\WINCE700\public\shell\oak\files. As it is in all Windows CE OS designs.

Is there anything that would stop Windows CE7 displaying its splash screen?

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 1:40 PM
  • Ahhh,How are you making sure that it is nothing to do with the Bootloader or biosloader?

Check your reginit.ini file and ce.bib file on your OSdesign release folder,the image file which you referred will only be used as a desktop wallpaper and not as an boot splash screen.

So again,what is the platform you are using?

If you are using the x86 platform,then look for your splash screen which will be in .bmx file of your bootable disk.

Regards,

Prabu[eMVP]

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:02 PM
  • This has absolutely nothing to do with boot loaders, it is the standard splash screen Windows CE provides.

This is CE.BIB

; @CESYSGEN IF SHELL_MODULES_VGAL
    ; @CESYSGEN IF IMAGING_IMG_PNGDECODER
        WindowsCE.png         C:\WINCE700\OSDesigns\BkCCXMX51\BkCCXMX51\RelDir\ConnectCore_i_MX51_Wi-i_MX51_ARMV7_Release\windowsce.png            NK S
    ; @CESYSGEN ELSE
    ; @CESYSGEN ENDIF IMAGING_IMG_PNGDECODER
    ; @CESYSGEN ENDIF SHELL_MODULES_VGAL

As you can see the file is placed into the RelDir and is therefore built into the OS image.

I have PNG support. I was displaying it but for some reason it has stopped.

I am using a iMX51, ARMv7, WEC7, VS2008SP1, .NETCF35.

Its there a component that is required apart from PNG support that i am missing? The fact that the file in on the device in the \Windows directory shows that it is included.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:23 PM
  • So it is not the splash screen,it is a Desktop wallpaper.Normally in wince the boot logo is called as splash screen.

Standard wince OS will not display any splash screen in the case of ARM platform,when the NK.bin starts booting the GWES will launch in turn will clear the display frame buffer and will directly show the desktop with the icons and the image you shown above as a wallpaper.

If this image is not appearing means you are getting a blue blank desktop with the My device,recycle bin icons, right?

Following file is responsible for drawing the desktop wallpaper,this requires Imaging component,so check for SYSGEN_IMAGING,SYSGEN_IMAGING_PNG_DECODE is included in your OS.

WINCE700\public\shell\oak\hpc\ceshell\ui\desktopview.cpp

Also look for the following registry in the reginit.ini file.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Desktop]

"wallpaper"="\\Windows\\WindowsCE.png"

Regards,

Prabu[eMVP]

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:48 PM
  • Prabu:

1. This is in fact a splash screen
    2. This is in fact not the bootloader
    3. This is in fact not the desktop wallpaper

I was shocked when I first saw this ugly new feature that Microsoft added to Compact 7.  As far as we have been able to determine, and frankly haven't spent a lot of time on it, this new feature is hardcoded someplace to load WindowsCE.png BEFORE clearing the display to show the Explorer Shell.

I was almost equally shocked to see that the OP actually wanted this feature... :-)

So far the only way that we have been able to disable it is to replace or remove WindowsCE.png from the OS.  But even then, a gray screen flashes (shows then is cleared) before loading Explorer.

So, now the question is why did it disappear in the OP's OS.   I would love to know the answer!

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 4:16 PM
  • Prabu[eMVP],

Thanks, but it is not the wallpaper, although it could be displayed as one. IT IS A SPLASH SCREEN windows displays just BEFORE the desktop.

I will look into you other comments. Thanks.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 4:26 PM
  • Bruce,

I am so glad you actually know what i am talking about!! Thanks.

Your exactly right, i had replaced the png with a black image just so i dont see the transition from bootloader to desktop.

But for some reason now, i cannot get it to re-display it, just as it did originally. Doesnt seem to matter what image i use as WindowsCE.png, it doesnt display, i just get the grey flash as you describe it - horrible isnt it.

I just want to get back to either a black screen or my own image. I'll let you know if i suss it out ....

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 4:31 PM
  • Thanks Bruce for the clarification.I didn't noticed it. Huhhh Now my mind started questioning why this feature is needed in WindowsCE.

Regards,

Prabu[eMVP]

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:36 PM
  • Prabu:

My mind questions that also.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:45 PM
  • You didn't send the whole BIB file but shouldn't a PNG file be in the FILES section of the BIB, not the MODULES section? Something to check.

You've verified that the BIB file is doing its job (that the file actually does appear in the target device \windows folder)?

Paul T.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 4:50 PM
  • Paul,

If you check my original post:-

"The file WindowsCE.png appears on the device in the Windows folder, so it is being built into the OS, this file is located on my PC in C:\WINCE700\public\shell\oak\files."

Your correct about the BIB file, it was just a small section i posted. I will check the section.

Thanks, John.

Monday, February 24, 2014 8:26 AM
  • You're performing a clean boot on this image, right? No mount-as-root filesystems from connected hard disks or memory cards that might be confusing the issue by adding/removing the PNG file early in boot?

You can double-click the PNG file and display it in an associated app on the device (or you're using the same image as the wallpaper) after boot completion? Just trying to make sure the file itself isn't at fault.

Definitely a strange problem...

Paul T.

Monday, February 24, 2014 3:53 PM
  • Thanks Paul,

No special 'mounting' going on, it boots from on-board NAND.

I checked the png file and it displays fine.

Strange i know. Not the strangest im dealing with unfortunatley ......

Monday, February 24, 2014 4:11 PM