using gzip compression for Silverlight OOB application in V3 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

is gzip compression for silverlight applications possible WCF Data Services V3 and/or CTP2? Can we set 'Accept-Encoding' ?

Thanks a lot!

Behrus

Friday, May 27, 2011 5:29 PM

Answers

• Silverlight has a limitation that prevents you from setting the Accept-Encoding header, which I assume comes from the Silverlight-in-browser days when the browser could be counted on for this. Now that Silverlight runs out-of-browser, and especially with Windows Phone, it does seem surprising that this limitation still exists. I've honestly tried lots of the published workarounds and hacks for this limitation, some of which work for WCF apps, but it seems like for OData we are stuck.

Having said that, I know that the OData team understands the need to save on bandwidth in mobile device apps, and they are investigating ways to address this issue in the future. You should also vote for this feature request, as I have: http://data.uservoice.com/forums/72027-wcf-data-services-feature-suggestions/suggestions/1012617-easily-compress-traffic-between-client-and-server

Cheers,

Glenn Gailey

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:28 AM