none
There was an unexpected error while retrieving your benefit data and we cannot process your request. RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot access subscriber downloads in the MSDN site because it keeps giving me this error. What can I do about it? Here is more information:

"There was an unexpected error while retrieving your benefit data and we cannot process your request."

Reference Id: 6C7273DA

Saturday, March 1, 2008 3:35 AM

Answers

• This is posted on licensing.microsoft.com:

Notice:
    MVLS, Online Services Administration, SA Benefits Administration and MSDN Benefits Administration sites will be unavailable starting from 5:00 PM Friday, February 29th, 2008 (PDT) untill 5:00 PM Sunday, March 2nd,2008 (PDT) for scheduled quarterly upgrades.
    We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 8:29 PM

All replies

• I am having the exact same problem.  I tried clearing my temporary internet files and cookies, but it didnt help.

I also tried using firefox instead of IE, and that didn't help either - still the same problem.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 6:15 AM
  • Same here.  Even tried rebooting.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 6:18 AM

• I heard they are having an outage for a couple days. They are probably doing an update...but they should give us an update!
    Saturday, March 1, 2008 6:19 AM
  • Well I'm glad I'm not the only one.  MSDN is also giving the same error.  It's been a few weeks since I've logged in, has this been going on for a while now or just now?

Saturday, March 1, 2008 7:05 AM
  • There has been a major overhaul to the Technet UI (along the lines of the Silverlight MS Download Center beta) in the works for quite some time now.  But this total outage is new - I downloaded the SP1 RTMs end of last week with no problems.  Seems odd that first Xbox Live & Hotmail went down earlier this week, and now MSDN and Technet.  Could be either enhancements or defects, or (more than likely) a little bit of each.

Sad part is that I don't even need to download anything tonight - I just need one of the product keys, but I can't even get acces to that!  Quite frustrating indeed.  Next time I'll remember to take a screenshot

Saturday, March 1, 2008 7:37 AM
  • Yeah... well I agree with Tim... some kind of notice would be nice.  With that error I thought my subscription expired on me!

Oh well, time for bed anyway.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 8:03 AM
  •  

I hope they get it resolved by morning.. I really need to grab a license code.. Wish i could start my vista install now and SP it while I sleep.. guess I'll have to sit in front of it for an hour later this morning. 

I've been having odd little issues with downloads all this week.. wouldn't work for an hour with these same errors-then it would work great for a while.

I downloaded what I needed earlier today but had to take off before I had a chance to print off my product codes page.. wish i had taken the extra couple minutes to do that now.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 8:14 AM
  • Mine was a little different. It happen today. Before that I was downloading some files. By the time the download was

completed. I have to re-login than I got htis error. "We were unable to properly transfer you to the benefit you requested."

I sine moved to diffenrent PC, reboot. Still not working.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 8:17 AM
  • I've encoutered this problem for the past week.

I would like to access product keys but to no avail.

AFAIK they are changing the downloads part to make it easier for us, but in the meantime they could let us access the old page. This is very very bad customer experience. It's taking way too long.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 10:35 AM
  • Count me in that number, too.

It started acting "flukey" yesterday (Friday) mid-day from work domain. I got the error the error I first time I selected attempted to access downloads/keys, but a browser refresh fixed it. Later last night, from home, I started a pair of FTM downloads from home, "activated" Windows Server 2008 Standard using my VLK, then suspended those two FTM downloads.

An hour or so later I attempted to access member benefits again and and haven't been able to get through any of the links in the "My MSDN Subscription" area on right of MSDN home page. My subscription level is still being correctly recognized in the link. However clicking anything in there gives me the "can't get your benefit data" error that you describe.

I went through the whole clearing cookies/temp int., etc., happens on every machine on my home domain, with IE and Firefox, etc. My associated LiveID seems to be working fine with other sites that use it.

What's really frustrating is that the only MSDN Membership support that is available on the weekends is the Online Concierge - and guess what - that's a benefit I can't access, either.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 1:31 PM
  • yep, this really sucks, same here. Even tried a different internet connection, same problems. I was planning on downloading virtual server and install a couple of server 2008 testing machines, now I'm stuck...

Really annoying the didn't send their subscribers a warning about these problems, could have saved me 1.5 hour... and change my plans for the weekend. 

Saturday, March 1, 2008 3:10 PM
  • So I see things still aren't working this morning...

Saturday, March 1, 2008 3:44 PM
  •  

I can't imagine that it's an update that's causing the problem. With the release of Server 2008, SQL Server, and so on, the site would forseeably be under tremendous load, and an update at the same time would be ill-advised.
    Saturday, March 1, 2008 3:55 PM
  • same for me! It is really really enoying!

And I only need productkeys....Why is it so hard to give us some notice - just post some info....

Saturday, March 1, 2008 4:06 PM
  • Same for me!

Saturday, March 1, 2008 4:07 PM
  • I'm with you folks, especially on my wasted time and ability change my plans for the weekend.  This is frustrating and inconvenient.  How hard is it to put up a place holder page that says a planned or unplanned outage has occurred, service is expected to be restored by.....

Saturday, March 1, 2008 4:13 PM
  •  

Same problem here.  I've lost time and other weekend plans like other folks that have posted here.  What's up with the lack of outage message and an estimated time for when msdn will be back on line?
    Saturday, March 1, 2008 4:27 PM
  • I got the same exact error accessing the MSDN site: "There was an unexpected error while retrieving your benefit data and we cannot process your request."

Saturday, March 1, 2008 5:29 PM
  •  

Same thing here.  Guess I will try it sometime later

Saturday, March 1, 2008 5:54 PM
  • Same here ... so much for the server OS I needed TODAY !

MICROSOFT - Can you tell us what is going on? When will MSDN be functioning again?

Frustrating as heck !

Saturday, March 1, 2008 6:06 PM
  •  

same for me.

If i didn't start to test today, i will not finish till end of weekend. Just perfect.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 6:38 PM
  • A bit dull for me to say this... but guess what, yeah. "me too" :-)

Mark.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 7:07 PM
  • I can't believe that there's only 23 messages posted if everybody is affected. There must be a pattern here.

Anybody have anything in common with my earlier post?

Can somebody chime in and verify that they're actually working as expected?

Saturday, March 1, 2008 7:23 PM
  • I'm willing to bet that there are many other people looking at this thread and saying to themselves that posting "I'm having the same problem too" is an exercise in futility... kind of like trying to access TechNet and MSDN right now

Although I will say that trying to access MSDN has yielded a different result the last time I tried:

Windows Live ID is unavailable from this site for one of the following reasons:
    • This site may be experiencing a problem.
    • The site may not be a member of Windows Live ID.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 7:35 PM
  • Same problem here.

It would have been really nice if MS could give us some sort of notice or at least post something on the MSDN page that says it will be down until ??? .   I really need a product key, and am now going to have a wasted weekend due to this outage.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 8:17 PM
  • This is posted on licensing.microsoft.com:

Notice:
    MVLS, Online Services Administration, SA Benefits Administration and MSDN Benefits Administration sites will be unavailable starting from 5:00 PM Friday, February 29th, 2008 (PDT) untill 5:00 PM Sunday, March 2nd,2008 (PDT) for scheduled quarterly upgrades.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 8:29 PM

• Thanks for the information Jonathan. I marked yours as the answer.

I don't recall seeing that anywhere in the normal flow of using the subscription services and I obviously wasn't the only one. If the subscriptions are down the notice should be in bold on the front page.
    Saturday, March 1, 2008 8:38 PM
  • There's no mention of TechNet in that message.  Why wouldn't the TechNet site have its own, clear error message instead fo showing the user a hexidecimal number and a link to the beginning of a maze of "Contact Us!" pages?
    Sunday, March 2, 2008 5:49 AM
  • Hello everyone:

Sorry I have been offline for a few days. It seems things have blown up in that time. We have NOT yet launched the new downloads experience, and there is currently not any scheduled maintenance going on.

I just tried to log in to my Subscription as well and am experiencing the same unavailability that you all are. I have tried MSDN, but not TechNet yet. I will try it next, but I expect to see similar behaviour. I saw an "unscheduled downtime notice for product keys" internally in mail, but nothing else. I will ping support on both of these and see what I can find out about the status and ETA. We did have a few production problems earlier in the week that required some hotfixes, but from what I can see the current errors do not appear to be related.

If you are able to sign in with your Windows Live ID and seeing this type of error, try navigating to the Subscriptions Management page by clicking the "manage my subscription" link in the horizontal bar at the top or from the box in the upper right hand corner. That can sometimes be useful in addressing an issue where users that have multiple Live IDs get cookies out of synch/conflicting and it results in this situation.  

In the meantime I'll see what I can find out from support and post when I see something back.

Thanks

Sunday, March 2, 2008 6:16 AM
  • So I just got off mail with support. Apparently there was a scheduled maintenance starting yesterday and going through the weekend - to complete work that was started in a downtimes several weeks back. This weekend's downtime was not well understood following on after downtimes last weekend and several weeks before that.

I was just able to access downloads and keys for MSDN and TechNet a few minutes ago. I am told there still might be some intermittent flakiness between now and tomorrow at 5PM (PST).

Sunday, March 2, 2008 7:08 AM
  • I'm on right now too... I'm hoping that if I can at least get the downloads started it won't matter if the site goes down again, since the downloads come from akamai

Sunday, March 2, 2008 7:12 AM
  •  JHCairn (MSFT) wrote:

So I just got off mail with support. Apparently there was a scheduled maintenance starting yesterday and going through the weekend - to complete work that was started in a downtimes several weeks back. This weekend's downtime was not well understood following on after downtimes last weekend and several weeks before that.

I was just able to access downloads and keys for MSDN and TechNet a few minutes ago. I am told there still might be some intermittent flakiness between now and tomorrow at 5PM (PST).

Still not up as of 10:52 am Sunday.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 3:52 PM
  • So in addition to the downtime this weekend, a bug was identifed earlier today that has just been fixed.

Take a look at http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2943434&SiteID=17&mode=1 for more details.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 12:30 AM
  •  The error is still there...

What is happening??
    gix1
    Friday, June 13, 2008 6:23 AM
  • Gix:

There are not any system wide issues occuring at this time, but we did see Thursday and Friday (not sure about over the weekend) that some specific users have been unable to access the system.

If you are still encountering problems accessing from different locations, please contact support. If you are an MSDN Subscriber, please look for the appropriate support contact based on your location, from http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/aa948875.aspx.

Specific repro steps will be very helpful as well as some additional information:

Again assuming you are MSDN rather than TechNet, for the links below:

Can you access the MSDN Subscriptions Home Page?
    Can you access the MSDN Subscriptions Downloads Page?
    Are you able to log in with your Windows LiveID?
    What specifically are you trying to do when you encounter an error?
    What is the error?
    Do you have an Error ReferenceID?
    Are you still experience the same issues after clearing cache and cookies, and opening a new browser session?

Julie Cairn (MSFT)
    Monday, June 16, 2008 5:10 AM
  • Works fine as of today. :)
    gix1
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 6:24 AM
  • It does not work fine anymore. Cannot retrieve the product keys neither a peer of mine located in India.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:59 PM
  • As noted above a few posts, If you are still encountering problems accessing from different locations, please contact support. If you are an MSDN Subscriber, please look for the appropriate support contact based on your location, from http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/aa948875.aspx.

Specific repro steps will be very helpful as well as some additional information:

Julie Cairn (MSFT)
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:44 AM
  • Getting this same error everywhere, all day.  Perhaps MSDN should make things more obvious that:

Notice:
    MVLS, Online Services Administration, SA Benefits Administration and MSDN Benefits Administration sites will be unavailable starting from 5:00 PM Friday, Feb 13th, 2009 (PST) untill 4:00 PM Sunday, Feb 15th,2009 (PST) for scheduled quarterly upgrades.

MVLS Support Team

Sunday, February 15, 2009 3:15 AM
  • This service was down as of at least 10am EST on Friday the 13th and is not yet back up as of 12:30 EST, Monday the 16th.
    Monday, February 16, 2009 5:22 PM
  •  I just replied in another thread about the issue occuring over the weekend.  This issue has now been resolved. 

Thanks,
    Mike
    MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Monday, February 16, 2009 8:04 PM