none
Running a C# project in VS2010 on Win xp Do Nothing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a C# project , and it was worked well on the vs2010 when I was working on Windows 7 x64.

Actually that project was originally build with VS2008 on  Windows XP x32, then when I turned my faramework to be Windows 7 X64, and VS 2010, my project works on it , but I turned its platform as X86 rather than Any CPU.

NOW, I forced to work again on the old platform, Windows XP X32.

So, I installed the VS2010 on it , and opened my project on it .

HOWEVER, when I try to run the project, it succeeded in building, but nothing done else. I cloud not found my Form !!!!

Is there something error??

Note: when I opened the Project's properties, I found the following :

Directories containing source code:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\crt\src\

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\atlmfc\src\mfc\

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\atlmfc\src\atl\

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\atlmfc\include\

Despite I haven't these directories now!!!

I have

C:\Program Files

instead of

C:\Program Files (x86)

And I now work on

Microsoft Visual Studio 10

not

Microsoft Visual Studio 8

Please help me to solve my issue.

Thanks so much.

Regards,

Aya.

Aya Zoghby

• Moved by Mike FengModerator Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:51 AM restructure .NET forums (From:Building Development and Diagnostic Tools for .Net)
    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 7:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Aya,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

There should be something wrong in the Form Load, I tried a dead loop in the form load event, and the form didn't show. So would you like to check the form load event handler? There may not be a dead loop, but waiting a network connection, waiting for a response from another end and so on.

All above causes will keep the form load event running, so the form didn't show.

You can debug the form load function code line by line, if you don't mind.

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 5:34 AM

All replies

• Now I noticed that:

1- When I use the 'Start Without Debugging' option , the project works.

2- When I change the 'Startup Project' , since my Solution contains more than one WFA Projects, the selected project as the new Startup runs normally using F5.

However I need to start the project with the main WFA, so how I recover that problem???

Please help me urgently.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aya.

Aya Zoghby

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 9:24 PM
  • Hi Aya,

How about change the path to a valid one?

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:27 AM
  • I don't think this is problem is related to x64 or x86 because your project has worked on both platforms earlier. But I suspect that may be your project is not able to find one or more required files or resources. I suggest you to put a try/catch in Main to catch the exception which will definitely provide you some hints. If you still don't get the root cause, please post the exception details here.

I hope this helps.

Please mark this post as answer if it solved your problem. Happy Programming!

Friday, January 4, 2013 3:09 AM
  • Hi Aya,

How about change the path to a valid one?

Thanks for the reply, and so sorry to be late in the answer.

Actually, I couldn't found another valid path.

Moreover, I have found the the VS2008 version of the project runs at the same path :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\....

Aya Zoghby

Friday, January 4, 2013 5:00 PM
  • I don't think this is problem is related to x64 or x86 because your project has worked on both platforms earlier. But I suspect that may be your project is not able to find one or more required files or resources. I suggest you to put a try/catch in Main to catch the exception which will definitely provide you some hints. If you still don't get the root cause, please post the exception details here.

Thanks for your reply.

I used the following try/ catch:

try
                {
                    Application.EnableVisualStyles();
                    Application.SetCompatibleTextRenderingDefault(false);
                    Application.Run(new ArabicTextMiningForm());
                }
                catch(Exception ex)
                {
                    string error = ex.ToString();
                }

However, nothing happened.

The programs seems as it is already running but I don't see the Application Form.

The 'Continue F5' button is disabled, and when I hit the Pause or 'Break All' Button , the Application pauses at an inner line in a project which is called by the Start Up Project, and it holds down there !!!

I don't know the reason, nor what that means.

Thanks so much.

Regards.

Aya Zoghby

Friday, January 4, 2013 5:21 PM
  • Hi Aya,

Based on your description, it seems that your application is running, but form is not visible.

Would you like to check it in task manager? Is it there?

And would you like to start another form? I just want to make sure this issue is nothing to do with your current start form(ArabicTextMiningForm).

I hope this will be helpful.

Best regards,

Mike Feng

Monday, January 7, 2013 2:21 AM
  • Hi Aya,

Based on your description, it seems that your application is running, but form is not visible.

Would you like to check it in task manager? Is it there?

And would you like to start another form? I just want to make sure this issue is nothing to do with your current start form(ArabicTextMiningForm).

Alright,

My solution has 5 projects, one of them called :"Soft_Associations_Charm_Apriori"

However, it is not the Starting project no has a Form.

When I Run the Application, I got "Soft_Associations_Charm_Apriori (Running) -Microsoft Visual Studio " in the Windows Task Manager !!!

Aya Zoghby

Monday, January 7, 2013 10:00 AM
  • Hi Aya,

There should be something wrong in the Form Load, I tried a dead loop in the form load event, and the form didn't show. So would you like to check the form load event handler? There may not be a dead loop, but waiting a network connection, waiting for a response from another end and so on.

All above causes will keep the form load event running, so the form didn't show.

You can debug the form load function code line by line, if you don't mind.

Best regards,

Mike Feng

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 5:34 AM